Eagle Hitch: can I get my 8' back blade to work with it?

DennisT

I've tried searching this subject, knowing its been talked about in the past, but not much luck. I have a 1953 wide front SC with Eagle Hitch. I have an 8-foot back blade, CAT 1, I used when I had my Oliver 1550. Hook up width/pins measure such that it matches Eagle Hitch width. The left, claw, on my EHitch has been slightly damaged and does not, close, quite as much as the one on the right, so it would be a little loose over the CAT 1 pin. Right side is fine. All parts seem present. Any thoughts/suggestions about trying to get this set up working with my SC? The only real need to, work, my SC is to back blade a large gravel drive way/parking area and, more especially, to blade back the large amount of Maple and Pine tree droppings that occur every year. Pretty light retirement work for the SC I think. And she and I would both enjoy it together if this will all work out. Thank you for comments, Dennis in E WA state.

All eagle hitch is Cat. 1 dimensions. It should fit fine and work. I would suggest getting the correct parts to fix your eagle hitch claw that you say is kind of messed up but its not too critical of an issue. There are a few Cat. 1 implements that can have some interference in hooking up but typically from me experience it is from the claw being too long when open and it cant latch onto the pins because the claw hits the frame of the implement. If your eagle hitch pivot pins are worn and sloppy so that it sways around like 3 point I would suggest taking them in to a machine shop and having new tubes welded on. It cost me a little over $200 but was worth it.

Fix the eagle hitch so that it works as it is suppose to. The back blade will then work fine. I have used a back blade on an SC
I had and it worked fine with the eagle hitch.
Jim

The Eagle width is okay, but the top point differs, so the geometry of the lift is different, as is the length of the lower arms relative to the center point of the assembly. That being said, it will probably work okay if you can adjust the top link to get the bite you want. May have to play around a bit with top link length to get what you want.

All great comments. I worked a lot with my hitch yesterday. Here's where I'm at: the left claw has fair amount of wear. Right is good. My Rankin blade is a problem, just as you said, Conner. When I back into the blade the claw is too long to latch on the right arm. Interestingly, the wear on the left arm allows hooking up. Claw length prevents the hitch from hooking up automatically. I have to position the claw and slip the pin through in it's latched position. The only way I see to hook up the right arm is to remove the sliding latch lock entirely. Then, and only then, will I, (hopefully), get a pin through using just the claw on the arm itself. All of the above will produce slop and rattle, but for the occasional light use I'll need it for, I think I can make this work. All side-to-side motion snugs up just fine. I would prefer everything to be fully in spec. and to hook up and operate exactly right, but not the case here.

Glad to hear you have a plan! There are a few instances where the eagle hitch has a hiccup like that but it is still a good cat. 1 3pt hitch. I like mine.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back