Early 8N oul seal and retainer question

Dan

Replacing the rear axle hub on this 1950 8N and while getting a parts list together of things I need to order I found two options for the outer oil seal (the seal in the thin metal retainer). One option is to buy the retainer with the seal and gaskets already together in one piece. The second is to punch out the seal and gasket out of the thin metal retainer and reuse the retainer I guess as they sell just the seal and gasket without the retainer. However, the one I pulled off still has the original FoMoCo stamp on the seal and the retainer is folded in around the seal on both sides and you cannot drift the seal out.

Anyone else run into this old outer seal? I guess the only option is to replace the retainer(?) Or, does later 8Ns or NAAs use a different retainer for this outer seal.

Attachments

• 20240328_100219.jpg
    20240328_100219.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
Replacing the rear axle hub on this 1950 8N and while getting a parts list together of things I need to order I found two options for the outer oil seal (the seal in the thin metal retainer). One option is to buy the retainer with the seal and gaskets already together in one piece. The second is to punch out the seal and gasket out of the thin metal retainer and reuse the retainer I guess as they sell just the seal and gasket without the retainer. However, the one I pulled off still has the original FoMoCo stamp on the seal and the retainer is folded in around the seal on both sides and you cannot drift the seal out.

Anyone else run into this old outer seal? I guess the only option is to replace the retainer(?) Or, does later 8Ns or NAAs use a different retainer for this outer seal.
The "retainer" isn't folded over the seal on the inner side.

The "fold" you are looking at is in the seal itself.

The "retainer" isn't folded over the seal on the inner side.

The "fold" you are looking at is in the seal itself.
I'll be darned! It was covered in grease so I couldn't see it too great, but I wacked it from the backside with a drift a few times and the seal popped right out. I have always just bought the complete unit and not just the seal/gasket.

Thanks for your help.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back