Earth magnets

tomturkey

Well-known Member
Would dropping a few earth magnets into my tractors fuel tank help to eliminate rusty bits traveling to the inlet to the sediment bowl. This tank does not have much rust, but a flake did restrict the line yesterday. I've played with earth magnets before, once they are in there they won't be moving around, and I'll never get them out. lol gobble
 
Would dropping a few earth magnets into my tractors fuel tank help to eliminate rusty bits traveling to the inlet to the sediment bowl. This tank does not have much rust, but a flake did restrict the line yesterday. I've played with earth magnets before, once they are in there they won't be moving around, and I'll never get them out. lol gobble
Be worth a try.
Let us know the results.
 
Would dropping a few earth magnets into my tractors fuel tank help to eliminate rusty bits traveling to the inlet to the sediment bowl. This tank does not have much rust, but a flake did restrict the line yesterday. I've played with earth magnets before, once they are in there they won't be moving around, and I'll never get them out. lol gobble
I thought rust wasn't magnetic. Rusty steel, yes, but only because of the steel that hadn't yet turned to rust.
 
The deisel tampons / tank snakes / water absorbers often have magnets in them to collect any rust in addition to the water they absorb.
 
I thought rust wasn't magnetic. Rusty steel, yes, but only because of the steel that hadn't yet turned to rust.
You are correct, but if the rust has some non oxidized iron attached, it can cause attraction. Drag a rare earth magnet through random rust dust and much will stick. I would not put it in the tank, I would stick it to the outside bottom a few inches from the outlet. Jim
 
Would dropping a few earth magnets into my tractors fuel tank help to eliminate rusty bits traveling to the inlet to the sediment bowl. This tank does not have much rust, but a flake did restrict the line yesterday. I've played with earth magnets before, once they are in there they won't be moving around, and I'll never get them out. lol gobble
No magnet expert and I realize there are differing magnets, but...I do have several rusty magnets in the shop?
 
Thank you all for your expertise. After considering 560Dennis and DRissell's comments, I think I'll place them on the outside bottom around the outlet. thanks gobble
 
cleaning the tank then , then making the stand pipe 1/2 inch taller works miracles. some tractors dont even have a stand pipe and every last drop of gas runs into the bowl when empty. and if that was the case in your case fuel tank why not use an extendable magnet and see if the rust sticks. i dont think a magnet will do much.
 
cleaning the tank then , then making the stand pipe 1/2 inch taller works miracles. some tractors dont even have a stand pipe and every last drop of gas runs into the bowl when empty. and if that was the case in your case fuel tank why not use an extendable magnet and see if the rust sticks. i dont think a magnet will do much.
I did attempt to remove the rusty flake I could see in the outlet hole with my magnet on a stick. yes I got some tiny rust particles but the flake was still there. I took a long wire and wallowed it around in the outlet hole to improve flow so I could drain the tank, clean the sediment bowl. Will not be removing the tank, need a quick fix. This is the snow removal tractor and moves firewood to the house. All others are hibernating. gobble
 
Here is what has worked for me if I needed the tractor NOW. If I am near an air supply I do this.
4 feet of so of old hose . About a foot from an end make slice and insert my air blow gun pointing towards near end of hose.
Opposite end insert into gas tank , If you can see into tank you can use venturi effect to catch and remove debris. You will have some wasted gas flying around.

Second emergency situation. Not at home and would like to get home, Rattle can of carb or brake clean with straw, turn of gas supply, remove sediment bowl, turn gas on and spray up into the gas route to tank. This won't fix nothing but hopefully you can get home.

Third, I used cow magnets but your earth magnets should work better, Put them in cloth bag attached to string exiting the tank. Secure the string. Use the tractor to slosh the gas and see what you catch. You will catch something but probably not enough. Good luck.
 
I put old hard drive magnets near the sediment bowl, it helped a lot till I had time to take the tank off and clean it right
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top