Electric Chainsaw

IA Roy

Well-known Member
I borrowed the FIL's Craftsman electric chainsaw. It must be a 14 or 16" bar. I was impressed with it until it quit running. I must have worked it too hard for too long. Because of physical limitations, he had bypassed the original switch with a wall toggle switch. However he used a lightweight indoor extension cord to power it. I wonder if it raised the amps responding to the likely voltage drop and ran too hot.
Anyway, I need to replace it. What are your suggestions. It had as much or more power than my Poulan Pro 210. 2.1 cubic inch or 34cc.
 
I have 2 craftsman 18 inch 4 hp electrics. I always 12 g cord, nothing any lighter. They are made by WORX. I love them. I can't start a 2 cycle anymore. I have 2 3500 watt champion RV genneys to power them with. I will NEVER go back to a gas chansaw.

I keep my chain sharp. Never have a problem. Was helping a friend who had a 16 inch poulan and I could cut circles around him.
 
I think my 20 year old 14 inch saw was a remington.
Gave it to my son. It was a good saw, just gave me
finger cramps pulling in the trigger.
 
For work around the house an electric is great. But like any saw, they need to be sharp and cared for. I'd get the proper replacement switch and a good, heavy lead cord. My Remington draws 13 amps max according to the plate. That's like a skilsaw. You try running a skilsaw in heavy sawing with a 16 ga cheapy lead cord and you'll have problems. Run it with a 12 or 10 ga and things go better.
 
Anybody have an idea if it might have a fuse or thermal cutout inside?
I haven't done anything yet. I need to get the model number and look up a wiring diagram and see what to look for!

Just after it stopped, I tried to push the trunk over with my DC case and loader. The loader frame was bent before, but boy did I introduce some new curves and angles to it. Worked on it about 4 hours Sunday and just started welding it back together.
Thanks
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top