I imagine you're single phase out there. Which means your motors have centrifugal starting switches, starting, AND running capacitors.I have 2 electric motors that don't work right. They will both run but don't have much power. Both are 3/4 hp. One you need to spin it to get it started as well. What might cause that?
Bob, won’t a bad cap cause a motor not to start as he has described the one has to be “spun to start”? Does every general farm duty motor in the 1/2 to 2hp range have centrifugal starting switch? Should have paid more attention in my midlife electrical course I took back in 99. I think it is more of a “if you don’t use it you loose it deal.”I imagine you're single phase out there. Which means your motors have centrifugal starting switches, starting, AND running capacitors.
So, can I fix them and what will it take?I imagine you're single phase out there. Which means your motors have centrifugal starting switches, starting, AND running capacitors.
Motors that size may have only one capacitor. Usually in an obvious housing. Hopefully you can find a number on it. Or find a shop who knows what they're doing and can get you a correct replacement. The centrifugal starting switch should be on the dead end of the motor. Take the end housing off and you can check the action of the switch. If you have a situation where you can hear a good motor winding down after shut off, you'll hear the switch click. Any capacitor should be shorted/discharged before handling, in case it is energized.So, can I fix them and what will it take?
My single phase motors require capacitors and starting switches. My bigger motors have multiple capacitors. Some for starting, some for running. Some of my bigger motors have a relay which the starting switch activates. This takes the load off the switch so it will last. The biggest motors here are 10 HP. I'm told that's the limit for our electric supplier.Bob, won’t a bad cap cause a motor not to start as he has described the one has to be “spun to start”? Does every general farm duty motor in the 1/2 to 2hp range have centrifugal starting switch? Should have paid more attention in my midlife electrical course I took back in 99. I think it is more of a “if you don’t use it you loose it deal.”
All good points. I have seen thermal overload devices that have failed when a motor is used on a hard starting application and runs near heat limits. or is so loaded that it slows to start conditions trying to run a load it is not rated for. JimA single phase split phase motor that doesn’t start unless it’s spun is often due to
1) The centrifugal start switch is bad
2) If it’s a capacitor start split phase motor the start capacitor or it’s wiring is bad
3) If its a capacitor start capacitor run and is weak after starting the run capacitor may be bad
4) The start winding may be bad
These are fairly simple tests and repairs if it’s only a capacitor problem a bit more complex if it’s the switch and more if the start winding is bad
It’s over 50 years since I was an engineer at the century electric motor company so nooooo warranty see what other engineers or electricians have to say and if they can add more to this.
Let us know what you find
John T
This doesn't address the starting issue, but if the motors happen to be wired for 240 Volts and are operated on 120 Volts they won't deliver rated HP.I have 2 electric motors that don't work right. They will both run but don't have much power. Both are 3/4 hp. One you need to spin it to get it started as well. What might cause that?
We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.
Copyright © 1997-2025 Yesterday's Tractor Co.
All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.
Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters
Website Accessibility Policy