Electrical circuits

J. Schwiebert

My brother in law had 2 220 volt power tools, a table saw and a small air compressor. The circuit is #10 wire and he needs to increase the plug size to 30 amp because he is getting a new shop heater that draws 22 amps. Would you put a fuse panel on the table saw and the air compressor that would be 20 Amp in size to protect those 2 tools should the air compressor over load or the table saw jam with a piece of wood in it. I know at dad's each 220 volt tool had a fused disconnect. That was 60 years ago so, what is the current code say? Thanks for any help. J.

Keep the existing circuit for one of those tools, run new branch circuits for the other two. # 10 is adequate for all of them although the saw may run on a 20A #12 circuit which would save a little money. Check the name plate rating.

There is no such thing as a 20 amp fuse panel. If what you are asking makes any sense to me ,the saw and compressor are already wired .Treat the heater as a separate 30 amp 10 awg circuit from the panel. You don't tap off one appliance to feed another. Not code but just wacky.

Sounds like the circuit is already overloaded if he's running the saw and compressor on the same circuit.

If there is no more room in the panel to add breakers, he needs to set a small sub panel. Each appliance needs to be on it's own properly sized circuit.

Also need to consider the wire size feeding the existing service so as not to overload it. More detailed information on what is there would be helpful.

I have a 220 circuit for my table saw and if I want to use my lathe which is also 220 I unplug the table saw and plug in the lathe. I would not be using both at the same time as the lathe is for metal, and the saw is wood. This way I am getting away with only one circuit, not filling up the breaker panel with stuff I would not be using at the same time anyway. It should be possible to get a pair of fuse holders and mount them in a box at any machine that you would want to fuse for less than the breaker in the panel I would think.

Put a 30 amp breaker in, and just put 30 amp plugs/receptables on both.

Plug in the one you want.

Sure: His entrance panel is like a house panel of say 60 years ago. The 220 volt circuit is run off of the circuit that would feed an electric stove. My brother-in-law is 86 and putters in his shop. Only one item on 220 is plugged in at a time. The heater is for the winter and the table saw is used less than the air compressor. He only has the one 220 receptacle and does not want to add another one.

I would say it's cheap insurance to have more breakers and the correct size for each. It's surprising sometimes when you put something extra in how much easier work gets. I did something crazy a number of years ago I put a light switch on an 120 outlet it turned out to be very handy on the electric fencer and if you look at all the times you would have pulled on that cord I doubt if it would have the original end.
One other thing that would be handy if you had a fuse box you could also create a spot to put a lock out on it might be handy

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back