Electrical question

I have a building restoration project going on. I have a new breaker box in the new construction area. The new building is ajoined to the old in a somewhat crude fashion. The power in the old part was supplied through a fuse box that was removed some time ago before my arrival. I took an extension chord recently and powered up each circuit individually and they work fine. I need to get power from the breaker box to these individual lines which are in the rafters. I could get a conduit through the rafters from the breaker box over to the area of the old original wires and join them in a large junction box. I have 2 circuits that are 220 volt 12g feeding small heaters. I have 3 cuircuits that are 120 volt 12g feeding lights and outlets.

My question is, can I feed all these lines in 1 conduit? I am confused how many current carrying conductors I have in this situation ? Do I have 7 or 10 ?

The 2 heaters need 20 amp breakers. I would like the 120 volt lines to have 20 amp breakers also. Can all these be fed with a single conduit per NEC code ?

Thanks in advance.

You can put as many wires in a conduit as wanted, as long as you adhere to the limits.

Now, I am not following what you are doing.

I prefer 1 large breaker in main panel going to sub panel, then feed from there.

You will have ten current carrying conductors. Given the cost of wire, you might be better off to run an aluminium 70 amp feeder and a sub panel.

The panel would have to be in the attic. I don't want to have to crawl in the attic if a breaker trips.

Is more conduits my only solution ?

You can run multiple circuits in a single conduit.

There are fill charts to determine the size conduit needed. The bends can not exceed 360*, not counting offsets.

Yes. If you try to put that many circuits in one conduit you must derate the circuits. As a matter of practice, we limit it to four circuits per conduit.
So run two conduits.

Unless it's commercial and the local codes call for conduit I would run individual pieces of conduit per circuit. A residential code should allow you to just pull romex without the conduit.

Personally if it were me I would put in a sub-panel in the new addition and feed everything off that.

I would get a small subpanel and put it where the original fuse box was, then make one run to the subpanel. You can get sub panels with breakers in them.

first thing is to check the wiring so see what the current rating is for your breakers. 20 amp breaker using 15 amp wire is bad.

If you're worried about code I would call your local inspector. I have been on many jobs and preached debating but no one paid any attention for it and no inspector called them on it. All we worried about was wire fill. I haven't been on a job in 3 years so I'm not up on what they're practicing now. You could also look into a code book . I dont have a recent one. Or you could just put in more conduits.

(quoted from post at 19:06:21 11/21/20) I have a building restoration project going on. I have a new breaker box in the new construction area. The power in the old part was supplied through a fuse box that was removed some time ago before my arrival. I took an extension chord recently and powered up each circuit individually and they work fine. I need to get power from the breaker box to these individual lines which are in the rafters. I could get a conduit through the rafters from the breaker box over to the area of the old original wires and join them in a large junction box. I

My question is, can I feed all these lines in 1 conduit? I am confused how many current carrying conductors I have in this situation ? Do I have 7 or 10 ?

The 2 heaters need 20 amp breakers. I would like the 120 volt lines to have 20 amp breakers also. Can all these be fed with a single conduit per NEC code ?

This is not a direct answer to your question. Why conduit. You can run Romex from your new panel to each circuit. Use a 2 gang box with cover as a junction box for each circuit. If your circuits in the attic do not terminate in the same place, your Romex runs will be easier than conduit. If possible, install the j boxes in places which are easiest to access.

I should ad we seldom ran bigger than 3/4 for number 12 wire. Maybe we only put 6 circuits in but that would still be 12 current carrying conductors plus ground as each conductor had it's own neutral.

What I would do is run a new romex to each old end and use smaller boxes and multiple splices .Bending pipe in close quarter will drive you nuts . Look on line for how many wires in a 3/4 conduit { 1/2 is small and not allowed in many locations] Treat each circuit as a separate job .

(quoted from post at 19:37:48 11/21/20) Yes. If you try to put that many circuits in one conduit you must derate the circuits. As a matter of practice, we limit it to four circuits per conduit.
So run two conduits.

A 20 amp breaker on a 12g wire is still a go in that scenario correct ?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back