Electronic Ignition on 860

Hello everyone! Id like to thank any responses in advance. Ive been having a intermittent miss for some time and my mechanic believes the distributor has too much play and is most likely the culprit. He also suggested I should go with the EI when I install the new distributor. I have a 12v negative ground system. He said I would need different spark plug wires, new coil, and a resister. All the videos I watched just showed a simple installation of the EI unit with no mentions of the other stuff. Also read might need to widen gap on spark plug? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

(quoted from post at 08:22:50 02/20/23) Hello everyone! Id like to thank any responses in advance. Ive been having a intermittent miss for some time and my mechanic believes the distributor has too much play and is most likely the culprit. He also suggested I should go with the EI when I install the new distributor. I have a 12v negative ground system. He said I would need different spark plug wires, new coil, and a resister. All the videos I watched just showed a simple installation of the EI unit with no mentions of the other stuff. Also read might need to widen gap on spark plug? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Not getting into the points vs EI debate as either works fine when things are right.

Just because a video is posted on the internet, doesn't mean the video is correct, or that it tells the whole story. If you want to change to EI, pick the brand you want and follow that manufacturer's instructions and recommendations for coil, wires, etc., not some random video. Not doing that may affect any warranty. JMHO

The reason for new plug wires is they need to be resistance wires. Copper wires can lead to premature failure of the Pertronix ignition.

Get the Pertronix kit for twelve volt negative ground. You should be able to use your existing coil and ballast resistor. As I recall, the instructions will tell you what the proper coil + ballast resistance should be. No need to use a wider plug gap.

Im not trying to open up the EI vs points debate haha
Plenty of those threads already. It currently has the Napa
coil with internal resister. As we all know, not all parts are
created equal. Any recommendations on brand of
distributor or EI?

OK, so your distributor has slop. E-I-E-I-O will not fix that. Yeah, good some advice given already but I'll add. I'm not going to debate the EI vs POINTS discussion again, and there's nothing wrong with EI so don't write me letters, but I've never had a desire nor need to go that route. You are making one of the rookie/newbie mistakes. You're having electrical/non-starting issues and you think the 'cure' is to go to EI based on what someone told you or what you found on UTOOB. Yep, don't believe everything you see and hear on the Internet; plenty of wrong info abounds there already. FACT: EI only eliminates the need for points. Connect the setup wrong and you fry out expensive parts. There's also not a thing wrong with the OEM 6V/POS GND system either, just be sure whatever setup used you are wired correctly for it. FACT: 99.98% of all non-starting issues are due to incorrect wiring regardless if 6V, 12V, EI, or breaker points. Having the ESSENTIAL MANUALS and related diagrams like WIRING PICTOGRAMS by JMOR are important. 12V was never a FORD TRACTOR setup until the late 1950s, and then only on the new diesel models, so there is NO manual or document from FORD on wiring an 800 or under tractor for 12V. You need the JMOR PICTOGRAMS for that. Having the ESSENTIAL MANUALS ensures you have the original 6V system and know and understand it. If you don't know the 6V system and your tractor won't start on 6V, what makes you think it will on 12V or even EI? See? Plus the manuals have all the chapters for the other systems including PM and SAFETY. See? You can get your side mount distributor rebuilt with new parts. The Drive Shaft bushing is a pretty easy fix. I advise to postpone your EI swictheroo for now. It'd be cheaper to rebuild your original distributor for now and get it wired all correct for a 12V setup. Also know that all EI and 12V kits are not the same. I also listed the parts for the side mount distributor. Finally, you'll need your ESSENTIAL MANUALS first. Invest in them.

FORD 600/800 TRACTOR IGNITION TIMING & ELECTRICAL WIRING:
XANbiZrh.jpg
sLoESNLh.jpg
ZaP82rll.jpg
kScyCn2l.jpg
KTTlXsjl.jpg

RagVHYul.gif

FORD TRACTOR I&T FO-20 SERVICE MANUAL ELECTRICAL DIAGRAMS:
OBAU0iTl.jpg

FORD 600/700/800/900 WIRING w/12V CONVERSION:
KByZheAl.jpg
dlcGHwkl.jpg
3XguzBIl.jpg
dlcGHwkl.jpg

FORD 600/800 ESSENTIAL OWNER/OPERATOR/PARTS/SERVICE MANUALS:
2Qc1hizh.jpg
9V2hbRFh.jpg
vzgJSv5h.jpg

FORD TRACTOR ANGLE MOUNT (SIDE) DISTRIBUTOR PARTS

Denny Carpenter:

BUSHING: P/N 7RA-12132-A -53-UP
CLIP: P/N 8N-12213 -50-64
CAP: P/N 8N-12196 -50-64
DUST COVER: P/N FAA-12239-A -53-64
ROTOR: P/N FAA-12200-B -50-64
CONDENSER: P/N FAB-12300-A -50-64
PLATE ASSY: P/N FAD-12152-A -50-64
CONDUCTOR P/N 8N-12209 -50-64
SPRING CLIP P/N 8N-12213 -50-64
INLET KIT P/N 350032-KIT -50-64
O-RING BASE P/N FAB-12143-A -53-64
CAP CLAMP P/N 7RA-12144 -50-64

NAPA Side-Mount Distributor:

NAPA HEAVY DUTY PIERCED (ventilated) #CS753 Standard Ignition #FD-8081 Standard Ignition Blue Streak #FD-8081X (Premium)

Condenser:
NAPA #FA66
Standard Ignition #FD-75
Standard Ignition Blue Streak #FD75X (Premium)

Rotor:
NAPA #FA67
Standard Ignition #FD-108

Distributor Cap:
NAPA #FA352
Standard Ignition #FD-128

Xpdn0e0l.jpg

Tim Daley(MI)

Both systems work fine. Address your problem distributor first. I have the Pertronix system on a 4 cylinder 4000 with a NAPA coil (#14), no external resistor, switched hot wire straight from fuse block, it runs fine. New style plug wires and plug gap at factory specs by the way.

Nice Tim! Thanks for putting in the time to post that wealth of information. Not only is it a great resource for me but anyone else who comes across this thread. Hats off!

Yes, Ive got a new distributor coming and Im going to
install it first, adjust the points, then the timing. If I can get
it running smooth then I know it was the distributor. At that
point, Ill proceed to install the EI. Fingers crossed. I believe
we have the same Napa coil with internal resister. The EI
instructions say to test the coil with an ohm meter to make
sure its 3 or higher so Ill be sure to do that and post my
reading.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back