Emails versus Conversations

cpratt

Administrator
Staff member
I've noticed people saying things like "Send me an email", when the conversation reaches a point where forum communication isn't wanted. For example, a poster was asking about a different drawbar for his tractor, two people had one and both said to email.

This was the way we handled this in the old system because all we had was email for two people to communicate. There is no function for one user to email another, instead, we use Conversations. Conversations are ways for two people to communicate without using the main forums.

The method of starting a conversation, when discussing things in a group thread, is to click or hover on the persons username/avatar on one of their posts. This will bring up a box which has an option to "Start Conversation". This is the replacement for email as used in the old system.

I would suggest that instead of saying "Send me an email", something like "Look for the conversation I've started with you and I'll explain what I have". Of course that is situational to why the one-on-one contact is needed, but you get the idea. It confuses people to ask for an email when there is no way for them to email you.

If you actually need to exchange email addresses, do so in the Conversation, not in the forum. If in the forum, your email address is exposed for viewing by both good and bad guys. I would also recommend not exchanging email addresses until you know the individual who needed the one-on-one communication, very well.

A related thing to be aware of:

On the main forum page of categories, right side bar is this snippet of "Latest" (see screenshot below).

Appears some users are using their profile page postings as a way to converse.
If they have not gone into Privacy settings, those posts are there for the world to see.
Posting such things as email addresses and phone numbers there is not a wise thing to do if the Privacy settings still allow any one to see those profile posts.
1704814539228.png

A related thing to be aware of:

On the main forum page of categories, right side bar is this snippet of "Latest" (see screenshot below).

Appears some users are using their profile page postings as a way to converse.
If they have not gone into Privacy settings, those posts are there for the world to see.
Posting such things as email addresses and phone numbers there is not a wise thing to do if the Privacy settings still allow any one to see those profile posts.
View attachment 1804
Excellent point, Profile posts are like having your own personal forum so it's not strictly necessary to restrict any access, but it still a forum for everyone to see including the search engines. Conversations are different and why I mentioned them. They are not a forum, but a one-on-one conversation that doesn't openly display anywhere. I'll post something on Profile Posts so people don't assume they are one-on-one.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back