ENCO Air compressor repair

cleddy

I have a old ENCO air compressor which was a popular import line of machinist and power tools in the 1970-1980's and the start winding switch burned up. It was probably dirty and starting slow once in a while and I accidently left it on over a week and the contact burned off. Of course a import heavy duty 5 hp motor from 1986 does not have replacement parts available so I repaired it by soldering a contact in place of the one that burned off. Will it hold up for occasional use?? the contact is closed only for starting. There are various new switches available online but not sure if they fit or can be made to work?? Cleddy

(quoted from post at 12:10:35 02/06/23) I have a old ENCO air compressor which was a popular import line of machinist and power tools in the 1970-1980's and the start winding switch burned up. It was probably dirty and starting slow once in a while and I accidently left it on over a week and the contact burned off. Of course a import heavy duty 5 hp motor from 1986 does not have replacement parts available so I repaired it by soldering a contact in place of the one that burned off. Will it hold up for occasional use?? the contact is closed only for starting. There are various new switches available online but not sure if they fit or can be made to work?? Cleddy
MSC bought them out about 10-15 years ago. Maybe they could help you?

I would think one of the Klixon start relays would work.

It bypasses the centrifugal switch and mounts externally.

Not sure how to size it but some more research or a phone call would probably get an answer. They are designed to work with a specific motor starting and run amps and must be sized accordingly.
Klixon Start Relay

I was going to recommend a Klixon too. Cheaper than OEM motor relays even if they can be found and work great.

(quoted from post at 14:58:52 02/06/23) I was going to recommend a Klixon too. Cheaper than OEM motor relays even if they can be found and work great.

Nowadays, the ''Klixon'' current relay conversions have been largely superseded by ''Intelligent Electronic Centrifugal Switches''.

They are more universal and don't need to be matched as closely to the motor running Amps as the ''current relays'' do.

GOOGLE ''Intelligent Electronic Centrifugal Switch''.

There are some start capacitors available with the electronic starting switch built in so it takes only one component to replace the centrifugal switch and mechanism AND the start cap. ''Sinpac'' is on brand, but REALLY $$$.

I had an antique drill press with an Emerson motor that the start switch that went bad. I wired in a programmable time delay relay. I cant rember the brand but it worked good and we had it in stock and it was inexpensive.

Thanks for idea. I have worked with time delay devices before and that would do the job. Hadn't thought of that? For now I soldered a old contact off something else on and it seems to work fine. As long as the contact is clean and no heat build up I think the solder will hold. The time of making contact is about 3 seconds so a time delay device probably would work fine. Cleddy

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back