Engine cooling

Dean Plute

New User
I have a 1964 Ford 4000 4 cylinder gas tractor. During rhe cool months here in SC don't have an issue with the tractor getting hot but in the summer while Bush hogging the temp will almost reach the overheating point on the tempature guage. The tractor does not have a fan shroud. I was wanting to add an electric fan, the tractor has been converted to an alternator, that I can cut on or off when the temp gets high to supplement the original fan. Which is best a pusher or puller fan? I am not sure if the original fan is a push or pull fan. I think it is a puller fan as I can feel the warm air on my legs when I am using the tractor. Has anyone done this and did it help?

Before I went through that work and expense, I would clean and flush the radiator including straightening any bent fins, even if it had to come out to do a thorough job. That may include taking it to a radiator shop for more thorough cleaning. It was cooling okay when newer so something has affected the cooling capacity.

I have a 1964 Ford 4000 4 cylinder gas tractor. During rhe cool months here in SC don't have an issue with the tractor getting hot but in the summer while Bush hogging the temp will almost reach the overheating point on the tempature guage. The tractor does not have a fan shroud. I was wanting to add an electric fan, the tractor has been converted to an alternator, that I can cut on or off when the temp gets high to supplement the original fan. Which is best a pusher or puller fan? I am not sure if the original fan is a push or pull fan. I think it is a puller fan as I can feel the warm air on my legs when I am using the tractor. Has anyone done this and did it help?
Along with what WESnIL gave you, getting the fan shroud, as shown in the parts book, should help to be sure the fan is pulling air through, not around the radiator.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back