Engine Heaters

I don"t post on here very often but I look at the post nightly to wind down sfter I get off work.Seeing alot of post about not starting in the winter etc, and I would like to share what I have that helps alot. It is a heater that is hooked into the top radiator hose and goes in the side of the block. Can"t remember the make of them, but in Iowa they use to be on every car and pickup also when I was growing up.I just plug it in about an hour before I use it and it fires right up. Its a 6volt system 8n and I also use a float charger with it. Does anyone know where you can buy ths top radiator hose with the connection in it. Mine is okay for now, but its gettin some age on it like me.
 
I've got a heater that came with my 2N that goes in the BOTTOM hose (you have to cut a section out of the hose and add clamps)and it works (when plugged in it gets HOT). It sorta makes more sense to be in the btm. due to thermal heating and all. HTH
 
Any heater that will keep the coolant warm works better then trying to keep the oil warm why because if all you have is warm oil the rest of the engine is cold but if you keep the coolant warm 95% of the engine is warm. Most if not all over the road trucks come from the factory with a block heater in them
 
Growing up on a farm in WI, all of our tractors had block heaters. They were housed in an up heated machine shed. As soon as you parked the tractor for the day you plugged in the tractor.
-20 and they started evertime. I'm in coatal Maine now and we don't get the harsh midwestern winters but, I'm thinking about installing one.
I believe the hose without the thermostat (bottom) is the hose for the heater.
 
My 8N had a lower rad hose heater installed worked great, have never seen one that goes in the upper hose. As posted if you get the coolant warned up the engine is warmed and will start right up.
GB in MN
 
TD.......you do NOT want a heater in yer engine top radiator hoze. WHY?, 'cuz hotwater rises into yer radiator which has FINS to cool hot water........SHEESH

Unlike many modern engines, there is NO ROOM for block heaters behind the freeze plugs.

That leaves you with the BEST OPTION, magnetic block heater attached to yer carb input manifold. Why CARB??? 'cuz the very act of carburating takes heat outta the air. The purpose of carburating is to create a gassious explosive vapor from liquid fuel. It takes HEAT to do this. And guess what? better cold weather starting. Isn't that amazing???

Iff'n yer cold, putt-on a snow-mobiler's coverall as the N does NOT have a heater.

2nd best option is BATTERY HEATER. Cold batterys don't like to do chemical reactions to create volts and amps.

Way back then, (40's) many nites below ZERO in the Colorado Mts; my dad used to bring the 6V battery in the house overnite for eazier starting in the morning. The neighbor didn't believe in anti-freeze and he'd be pouring HOT WATER from teakettle over his carb and in the radiator. At least Dad believed in anti-freeze. ........Dell the warm
 
I am going to come to T.D.s defense with one correction. I know the heater he is speaking of and it wasn't exactly in the upper radiator hose, but in the upper heater line on a lot of the old automobiles. I never saw it used on any tractors that didn't have cabs and heaters installed. But if you remember the heater systems come off right behind the thermostat so you could start getting heat into the cab before the engine was actually up to operating temperature. We had them on all the pickups and the big tractor and they worked well, but they were in the upper heater hose not radiator hose. LarryT
 
I believe the type he is talking about has a one way check valve and will draw coolant from the uppeer hose and feed it into the lower block drain. The farmer I used to work for had one on his JD that connected to the thermostat housing and the block drain.

Mark
 
I've got a '67 Case 1030 diesel air breather and have a cold weather start-up ritual that's maybe over-kill but it'll fire every time. It's got dual batterys and a freezeplug block heater and I'll attach a magnetic heater to the oil pan & hyd case. I have a heatgun on a post that is at the manifold level & I'll plug it in for 10min befor start. With everything heated it'll fire easily and I don't have to use ether. I'll use the same on my N when she's back together & I need to start it in our cold Colorado mornings.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top