Engine machine shop charges

Devious

Member
Hello out there in guru land. Can I ask about the normal Mom and Pop shop charges for doing what is needed at the machine shop for a engine rebuild.?? Only one here in my neighbor hood (within 3 miles) but they do lots of work from the traffic thru their place. I would like to know a ball park idea so I don t walk in blind . Thanks Devious
 
That"s a loaded question. What do YOU consider typical? I just had my crank reground and oil pump rebuilt and it cost me 150 bucks plus the cost of the kit for the pump. I had the head machined a while back and that cost me 35 bucks. They typically have a set charge per hole for removing and installing sleeves.
 
That helps the picture Mr. Bell. I can work with any and all info and use it to gage whether this Mom and Pop place here at my doorstep is jerk my chain or is at least in the ball park. Thanks for the reply. Devious
 
Hi Devious. The shop that rebuilt my diesel engine had a printed sheet of all they did and the cost of each. Just ask. If they don't have one then I would say they may be flying by the seat of their pants or by the size or your wallet. I posted my costs earlier but it came out garbled so here it is again.

This list is for a 4000 4cy 172 diesel and includes working with the "old block" and the "new block".


1. Hot tank, magna flux and mike: block, 2 cranks,
8 rods, and 2 cams for both blocks $ 95.00

2. Bore the block and hone new sleeves $200.00

3. Install new sleeves and surface block $260.00

4. Disassemble and inspect old block for usable parts $ 60.00

5. Assemble new long block $300.00

6. Valve job 4 cylinder OHV, 2 valves per cylinder and
Surface head $ 85.00

7. Complete balance of all rotating parts including
flywheel and clutch together. Weight
balance of other parts: pistons, rods, etc $135.00

8. Cost of sleeves $100.00

9. Recondition 4 connecting rods and re-bore rods
and caps to accept Boss Mustang rod bolts
($35.00 for bolts paid for by fostersfarm $ 72.00)

10. Overhaul gasket set furnished by fostersfarm ($70.00)

11. Tax $ 8.75
Total Shop Costs $1,315.75

Cost of “new block” with standard crank, rod and main bearings.
Standard can and gears, rods, new pistons and rings and
a few other parts: as part of a trade $ 300.00

Foster
 
Hi There, thank you for that list of info. I doubt that I will go into things that far but that helps with the idea anyway. Thanks Devious
 
The shops I deal with charge by the hole to bore & sleeve. Per head depending on # of cyl. Per journal for truning the crank...ECT.

Good Luck!

Rick
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top