Engine serial number help

Mmckim

I have a wd45 tractor but I think motor is out of a wd I have a serial number it is (WD340268PA) can anyone tell me if it is or not.

(quoted from post at 19:32:16 07/07/23) I have a wd45 tractor but I think motor is out of a wd I have a serial number it is (WD340268PA) can anyone tell me if it is or not.
A WD-45 engine serial number would be 45-xxxxxx. So, for sure your tractor has a WD engine block. What is inside that block for crankshaft/pistons, etc...who knows. A compression test might tell something. A dyno test might also tell something.

Well, the BLOCK may have that serial number, but who knows what internal parts are in it? Could have WD 45 crank and pistons, and a tall head.

Are you sure the tractor is in fact a WD45?

An engine for a WD45 has a serial number that starts with 45-xxx

The tractor is a wd45 for sure. I just put an 1/8 overbore overhaul kit in it and did not pay attention to the crank to tell if it was a wd45 crank or not.

I think if you have a WD crank and a 45 kit you will be down on compression. The WD crank has a 1/2 shorter stroke.

So, is the engine assembled ??? or the head still off of it, with pistons and sleeves assembled ?? If each piston only moves 4 inches up and down, you have a WD crankshaft. If they move 4 1/2 inches up and down, you have a WD45 crankshaft.

He could remove the spark plugs and use a piece of wire and measure how far it goes in with one piston at TDC compared to one at BDC. That won't be real accurate, but may be close enough to tell the stroke.

I guess if you had another engine with the 4 inch stroke you could compare them, but with the spark plugs at a 45 degree angle measuring 4 1/2" or 4" will be pretty tough. If he's taking the oil pan off, the 4 1/2" crank has a part number on the forging.

Just a thought. Allis Chalmers ran out of WD transmissions and had to use WD45 transmissions on the last of WD tractors in the last year of production. The best way to tell is the plate on the right of the engine. The WD has on bolted in plate there but the WD45 does not. The WD45 casting is smooth.

Texas Denny

(quoted from post at 08:45:11 07/16/23) Just a thought. Allis Chalmers ran out of WD transmissions and had to use WD45 transmissions on the last of WD tractors in the last year of production. The best way to tell is the plate on the right of the engine. The WD has on bolted in plate there but the WD45 does not. The WD45 casting is smooth.

Texas Denny
A-C didn't run out of WD spur gear transmissions, It was a planned upgrade for the transmission, which prepared the way for the increased HP of the WD-45. Yes, the right side valve lifter cover plate indicates a WC or WD engine block. So does the serial number of the engine block. However, which block is in a particular chassis doesn't mean much after 70+ years, as engines and blocks have been switched around on many tractors over the years.

(quoted from post at 08:45:11 07/16/23) The best way to tell is the plate on the right of the engine. The WD has on bolted in plate there but the WD45 does not. The WD45 casting is smooth.

Texas Denny

That tells you what the block is, but won't tell you whats in it. A WD45 crank will drop right into a WD block. I'd bet after 1953, a fair amount of WD's got a 45 crank and pistons on their first, second, or third overhaul.
AaronSEIA

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back