Engine size?

dhermesc

There is a Hydro 100 coming up for sale near me - looks like a great haying tractor. The current owner says he bought it 10-12 years ago with a new engine but he doesn't know what size it is. The Current engine is turbo charged and the hole in the hood for the exhaust stack was moved back about 5-6 closer to the operator. How do you tell which engine it has? I was assuming it originally had the same D414 as the 966 and they simply dropped in DT414 from a 1066. I had not realized it had a D436 so its possible it had a DT436 from a 1466 dropped in.

How do you tell the difference between a DT414 and DT436?

See photo of IH USA Diesel Engine chart for Location of Engine Serial Numbers with Serial Number Location and Serial Number decode.

cvphoto142789.jpg

IDEALLY, the information is stamped into a flat spot on the block.

That's assuming the engine wasn't "remanufactured" in a factory like SRC. If it's a factory reman, the only way to know for sure is to "cut it open and count the rings" so to speak. SRC would use whatever block with whatever crank and pistons to get whatever displacement, and what's stamped on the block is meaningless. Sometimes they matched up parts and block, sometimes not.

Cant answer the size question. But there were a lot of H100/966 with added on turbos.They cut the hood as you describe.My guess it is an 'original' size engine with an added on turbo.

(quoted from post at 07:05:30 12/14/22) Are the 414 and the 436 part of the 466 family? I notice neither is listed.

Yes. All three are the same block, and the same bore even. The only difference is stroke. Longer throw crank, and the wrist pin in a different position on the piston.

414, 436, and 466 can all be exchanged between tractors, combines, and trucks up through the 1993 model year, with the appropriate external parts swapped out.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back