engine stuck on poppin Johnny

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
This subject has probably come up a million times. Anyone got any cures for a stuck engine on a 47 John Deere? Tractor sat outside for a couple of years without startup and I would guess that condensation is the culprit. I had the inlet stack covered to prevent rain from entering the intake. Have removed the cylinder head and do see some minor rust build up on the cylinder walls which I have cleaned up. Of course I can't get to the area which is the ring seating which is probably the area it is stuck.
 
If you already have the head off why not take the rods loose and pull rods and cylinder block. Then stand it on end and dump a little brake fluid and diesel mix on top of the pistons and light it. Then when its good and warm they will tap right out with a block of wood. I remember clooney saying that over on the deere board a long time ago.
 
pour some PB blaster on there. If youre in a hurry, use PB if not ATF. ATF takes longer but i am confident it'll work.
 
Some of you guys seem to forget, this is a horizontal engine. As it sets in the tractor, there is no 'top' of the cylinder. Complicates things just a bit! Greg
 
Hey kiddo its hard to pour oil on top of a JOHN DEERE piston when its in the tractor ya been around them good RED ones too long
 
Easy to do if you set your mind to it. (:^D

Picture2043-vi.jpg
 
Jack the front of the tractor up say 2 foot or so. Then fill the cylinders with tranny fluid, it does work better then PB does by a long shoot. The reason for jacking the font up is because of the way the cylinders lay on a JD. BTDT on my 1935 JD-B and I knew it had been locked up for 15 plus years and it now runs just fine and I never pulled the head off of it. I have run tests using PB and ATF and the ATF has always worked better on things I have used it on
Hobby farm
 
If you do end up pulling the block with the pistons and rods, stand the block up vertically on some blocks.Boil a large pan of water and dump the water into the water jacket of the block.The hot water will expand the block in a hurry and light tapping on the pistons with a block of wood and a hammer will get them loose.Ive had great success with this.Good luck
 
Well all the times I use PB it hasn't worked for me, but the ATF has. Plus at $2 a qt. for ATF and $10 or so per QT. of PB the ATF is the way to go since to pop an engine free you have to almost fill the cylinders. turpentine and ATF mixed 50/50 also works well but again the turpentine is hard to find and at $10 plus a QT. I'll again just stay with the ATF
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top