herk

Member
Hello I am new to F B market place When it says hidden info in discription ,what are they talking about ? Alot of people you message ( I always write my own , dont use thiers ) won't even respond ,makes you kinda frustrated when you would like to buy some thing and they can't even reply . Thanks Bryan
 
I've seen that hidden info thing, and sometimes it's a hot link you can click on. That's the extent of my knowledge. As to sellers not responding, my best guess would be the item is sold.
 
I've found that "Hidden Info" is generally the posters phone number. I've replied to ads that say: "Phone calls only, will not respond to messages, call the number in the ad" to tell them I can't call that number because it is "Hidden Info".

Then I get nothing back because the dough heads won't read or reply to messages.

Most dough heads on there never remove their ads when the item(s) are sold either.

Facebook Marketplace bears a remarkable resemblance to a cesspool.
 
Yep, the hidden info is usually a phone number.

And I would bet big it is a person (probably an early baby boomer) that hates technology like cellphone texting or messaging or emails.
 
Most of the non-responses I've gotten, the ad disappeared shortly thereafter. Sold already. Some do send a reply saying sold. I too was curious as to how you view the hidden info. steve
 
Yep, the hidden info is usually a phone number.

And I would bet big it is a person (probably an early baby boomer) that hates technology like cellphone texting or messaging or emails.
I'm thinking that you would win that bet; I am one of those early boomers ('48) and find "messenger" a somewhat necessary evil but a royal PITA. I deleted it from my phone (Instant Messenger, the texting thing, is enough to deal with) so it only appears when I am on Facebook. It seems to be a platform of choice for scammers.
 
I've found that "Hidden Info" is generally the posters phone number. I've replied to ads that say: "Phone calls only, will not respond to messages, call the number in the ad" to tell them I can't call that number because it is "Hidden Info".

Then I get nothing back because the dough heads won't read or reply to messages.

Most dough heads on there never remove their ads when the item(s) are sold either.

Facebook Marketplace bears a remarkable resemblance to a cesspool.
Thanks for that tidbit of information. I don't have nor desire that social media platform but have been told that selling on there is better than Craigs List which I use and is usually up and running with no problems contacting sellers as they direct...phone, email, etc and publish the addresses.

Other thing is that I have never contacted someone that has sold the displayed item. Sellers are good about that. Most will tell you......if you see the picture its still for sale.
 
I sell my stuff on Craigslist and FB Marketplace both. Marketplace is putting CL pretty much out of business. For some reason, even with younger folks help, I cannot access messenger on my phone. I put my phone number on a piece of paper and take a photo of it laying beside the item I am selling. I state all this in my ad and also say "I do not respond to : is this available". I still get the "is it available" messages because idiots do not read through the ad, they just start pushing buttons.
 
Most of the non-responses I've gotten, the ad disappeared shortly thereafter. Sold already. Some do send a reply saying sold. I too was curious as to how you view the hidden info. steve
I always take the ad down as soon as it’s sold and I try to reply to everyone. It bugs me that people don’t remove the ads or give a reply. I guess it’s just the way people are, sometimes I don’t even get a reply to a conversation here on this forum.
 
I think when sellers put their phone number in plain text in the ad, Facebook hides it and there is no way for you to see it. Some sellers have gotten around this by writing their phone number on a piece of paper and putting a picture of that in the ad.

I have bought and sold on Facebook marketplace. And I have to weed out the scammers. But I have to weed out scammers that respond ti ads placed on craigslist or here on YT as well
 
I've found that "Hidden Info" is generally the posters phone number. I've replied to ads that say: "Phone calls only, will not respond to messages, call the number in the ad" to tell them I can't call that number because it is "Hidden Info".

Then I get nothing back because the dough heads won't read or reply to messages.

Most dough heads on there never remove their ads when the item(s) are sold either.

Facebook Marketplace bears a remarkable resemblance to a cesspool.
I have sold things on FB and I would delete ad the same day. A few days later the ad was still there, so they must have some kind of glitch in their system.
 
I sell my stuff on Craigslist and FB Marketplace both. Marketplace is putting CL pretty much out of business. For some reason, even with younger folks help, I cannot access messenger on my phone. I put my phone number on a piece of paper and take a photo of it laying beside the item I am selling. I state all this in my ad and also say "I do not respond to : is this available". I still get the "is it available" messages because idiots do not read through the ad, they just start pushing buttons.
That’s not entirely true. I have fat finger syndrome and bookface has their useless “is this available?” pre-loaded next to a huge blue button. I accidentally hit that button a few times a week. It is hardly worth explaining what happened to people I mistakenly send the message to, so I usually move on. My laptop died a few years ago and I exclusively use a smartphone to browse, so that may be a part of my problem.

I really cannot stand marketplace or any of the rest of bookface, but that is where stuff is posted. They deliberately make the search feature bad in order to keep you scrolling. How many times have you seen an ad, but cannot find it again if you don’t save it? How many totally unrelated items do you have to scroll past before you see anything remotely close to what you search for?

I cannot figure out why Craigslist died and marketplace took over. It is a demonstrably worse website. I’d leave it tomorrow and never go back if people would go back to posting on CL. Unfortunately one has to go where the items are posted…
 
I really hate the number of ads from some dealers and private parties on Craigslist. Don't need to scroll past 63 new ads for LS tractors (and that only gets you to page 3, 4 if your lucky). Also the way some posters use keywords so their ad shows up everywhere...don't want to scroll past un-related things to the category that I'm searching. Marketplace is slightly better in that regard so far. Sorry, My vent for the day.
 
I've bought and sold a lot through AgTalk, Craig's List, ebay, and FbMarketplace. Never had any trouble but I am also very cautious. One thing I've seen buying/selling online is it either sells immediately or it takes 6 months. That's why listings sometimes disappear so quickly. If you see a listing that interests you don't think about a day or two because odds are it will be gone.
 
I really hate the number of ads from some dealers and private parties on Craigslist. Don't need to scroll past 63 new ads for LS tractors (and that only gets you to page 3, 4 if your lucky). Also the way some posters use keywords so their ad shows up everywhere...don't want to scroll past un-related things to the category that I'm searching. Marketplace is slightly better in that regard so far. Sorry, My vent for the day.
I believer that what you said is a huge reason CL has died.
Adding that sellers that post their ad as an Owner instead of Dealer.
And the poor policing against scammers.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top