F3 Gleaner Hydro Issues

jljaben

New User
I have a 1983 F3 Gleaner combine. While combining the hydro unit became hot enough to start some debris on the hydro unit to smolder. Luckily we were able to extinguish before a fire ensued. Was wondering if anyone has encountered this issue. I have never had issues with the hydro before and I am looking for any suggestions on what to look for, and what the cause for the excessive heat may be as I dis-assemble the unit. The machine still moves, but the hydro sounds like it is working hard. Thanks

Using a higher transmission gear will make any hydro drive get hot faster than a lower gear would. How clean is the cooling system, if fins are plugged from dirt/dust that will keep air from cooling system as needed.

Before you assume it's the hydro, just make sure it isn't the trans, a brake, final drive, or something hanging up and making the hydro work too hard.
And, as Dieseltech points out- gearing. How many speeds do you have? 3 or 5? Have you tried using the lowest gear which will still give you the ground speed you want?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back