F350 rear axle oil seal

The axle on the passangers side of my 2001 SRW F-350 is leaking oil. This truck has a "regular" limited slip differential with 3.73 gearing.

I want to tear into it this weekend but am concerned about finding that I'll need a bunch of special tools once I get into it. I am a good home mechanic with plenty of "regular" tools. Anyone have any experience about how difficult this job is?

I have a service manual on CD for 2001 Ford Trucks. The diagram that I think represents my assembly looks like it just has a gasket on the housing at the end of the axles - but this doesn't seem right. Shouldn't there be a seal.

Based on my CD service manual, there seems to be a dozen different options or rear differential/axle assemblies, and the fix to my problem looks like it ranges from pretty simple to needing about 2 dozen special tools.

Thanks,
Tim

should be a floating axle. there are a ring of bolts holding the axle to the drum. there is a gasket between the axle and drum. remove bolts, pull axle out. inside, there should be a nut and locking ring. remove them, then the drum should come right off. should be otr bearing and race, inner bearing and race, oil slinger and oil seal if its a ford axle. if its a dana, there is no oil slinger. not hard to do, just messy. i would recommend you replace the inner and otr axle bearings and races, usually if the seal goes, there is a worn bearing causing the seal to fail.

Glennster is dead on other than the spindle nuts hold on the hub for your brake disk, not drum. It's actually fairly easy to do, did the one on my dad's 2001. Also on the left side.

Look for a "Wear line", where the seal rubbed on
the shaft, if deep, a new seal may also leak,
and you may have to install a Speedi-sleeve over
the groove.

Speedy Sleeve? I need to know more about that. My son's Jeep was leaking. Bearing was bad,axle was grooved. It's Chrysler only. He found a used one at a junkyard for $100. Hasn't gone and got it yet. So what's this speedy sleeve and where do you get one? It would take a different bearing and seal wouldn't it?

In my days as a Ford dealer tech, I've never seen one with a groove worn by the seal. I'm not saying its not possible, just very unusual. The bearings in the hub are a pair of tapered rollers. If they aren't damaged, reuse them. You'll need a special socket to remove the nut. Most big name parts stores will lend you any special tools you need. The way it works is you buy the tool, use it, then return it and get your money back. The seal is easy to change.

Thanks for the info Gents (sorry for the late acknowledgement).

As always, this forum helps me search in the light instead for groping in the dark.

Tim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back