Farm all 806 clutch is slipping?

Matthew806

New User
Hi everyone, thank you for taking the time to read this.

I tried to pull a 12' chisel cultivator through some pasture land to break a garden this morning, and my tractor stopped moving under load. I quit immediately.

I had an issue this winter pulling a box cutter to clear snow, where I was low on fluid and did slip it worse, to the point of smelling it, before I realized what was happening.

Fluid was up to level on this second slippage.

Any chance there is an adjustment to tighten this up? Or could it be the TA?

I have ordered a manual from the forum store, but could use some advice.

If the tractor was in direct drive, the TA front clutch could be slipping. But that clutch is hydraulic, and would heat MCV hydraulic oil, not easily smelled from the seat. Most likely is a failing master (engine) clutch, as that is dry and can be smelled when hot.
The clutch could be out of adjustment, and might be still usable. the pedal free play should be about an inch and a quarter, measured from the pedal lever to the platform. This free play is easily detected by hand pushing the pedal down until resistance is felt. If there is no free play, the clutch is going to slip. If it has been toasted, or is just plane worn out, it will need a clutch kit and resurfaced flywheel to spec. Jim

Ok. There is very little free play, maybe 1/4 inch. Hopefully I can adjust. That would be be the rod length adjustment I see on the linkage ?

Hello Matthew welcome to YT. Although the info Jim has given you will tell you if the lack of free play is possibly part of your issue from what I understand it is not the 100 percent correct way to adjust the clutch on your 806 that has a hydraulically shifted TA. In the linked post is the clutch adjustment procedure for a 56 series IH by poster Tractor Vet. There are two sections to it one is somewhat explaining why or purpose of what is being done. There is a bit of misspelling and run on sentences but it can be figured out. The main thing is there is a hydraulically applied clutch pack in TA for ..Direct or High TA.. operation. It disengaged when the clutch is pushed that is what the red ..tell tale.. lamp on the dash is telling you that the pressure is dumped to that clutch pack. When letting the clutch back up that clutch pack has to be re-engaged before the main dry clutch starts to engage. That TA pack is not capable of withstanding for very long starting the tractor in motion. I do not know if any of this helps, kind of complex to understand.
Just a note the Tractor Vet has told me in another reply where I posted this that for the 06 series the free play setting is 7/8 inch and not 5/8 inch given in this post for the 56 series.
Past YT post with TV clutch and TA adjustment process

If you're riding the clutch pedal quit doing that it will ruin a good clutch from that. Then TV's insrtuctions for adjusting the clutch and follow the procedure like he explains it. He has for got more than most of us will ever know about those tractors. Then on the right side is the clutch brake it will need adjusted when done and he gives the procedure for that too. That helps stop the gears when the clutch pedal is pushed out for shifting. Grease the throw out bearing while your in there too. I have put a short hose down to the bottom of the housing and with a bulkhead fitting in the cover to fasten the hose to. then put a grease fitting in the end of the bulkhead fittin and greaeing is easy that way.

(quoted from post at 10:21:14 06/11/23) Ok. There is very little free play, maybe 1/4 inch. Hopefully I can adjust. That would be be the rod length adjustment I see on the linkage ?

If you have any free play at all, adjusting free play won't help.

There is, in fact, no way to adjust a clutch to make it "clutch harder" or "clutch more" or "be clutchier..." That's all done with fixed springs in the pressure plate from the factory. The clutch can't grab any harder than the moment the throwout bearing breaks contact with the pressure plate fingers.

If it's slipping the only course of action is splitting the tractor and replacing.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back