Farmall 300 Row Crop IPTO Change Out

I've tried to adjust the independent power take off on my Farmall 300. The only way it will work is if I
constantly hold the lever back (engaged) or wire it engaged. Local salvage yard has one. It looks like it is a
matter of removing ten bolts (studs) to remove my old one and install another. I asked the salvage man and he
said, yes, just align it internally and it is easy. He warned it is heavy. Any advice? kelly

If it does hold with the lever bungied, it can be made OK as is. There is adjustment procedure I don't know what you did, but here is a procedure that works. There must be zero lost motion in the lever and linkage. Zero. PTO adjust.
With the lever exactly half way between the locked on position and locked off position (little flipper catch on lever. Use bungies or ratchet straps to hold it centered. Measure this position.
Take off the little dome metal cover from the adjust screws.
Loosen the jamb nut, and tighten the front (away from you) screw until it is just a bit tighter than the point at which it begins to feel tighter as it is screwed in (maybe a eighth turn) then back it off until the PTO shaft will turn with least drag (about 3/4 turn out) and tighten the lock nut while holding the adjuster.
Do the same for the closer adjuster.
If the screws go into the jamb nuts and get flush with the top surface of the nut, the bands are probably worn out, and may be operational for a while, but plan on a rebuild.
Now (tractor off) push the the lever down toward the brake footplate. As it goes down, it should get harder to push when it is about 4 (or so) away from fully OFF. and be noticeably harder to push for the last inch, but not real hard. (this is the brake band tightening on the drum in the PTO unit.
Then pull it up and do the same feel.
The ON position should feel the same way.
The shaft should turn pretty free when the lever is half way, and not at all when in either ON, or OFF. (tractor shut off)
If it slips now, it needs a rebuild. Jim

If you do decide to pull the pto, drive the tractor so the front is as low as possible (usually in a ditch)and you will not lose as much oil if any. People put a pipe over the shaft for leverage.

If changing complete unit only the 4 bolts with 3/4 wrench size heads need removed. Most don't slide out easy. Big O ring between OD of unit and transmission housing. If new one is needed not cheap.

It has to be a pretty steep ditch, and that makes pulling the heavy PTO unit out all that much more difficult.

Draining the oil might be more practical, especially if you plan on using a shop crane to lift and move the PTO unit.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back