Farmall 350 Axle Dia Question

Bill VA

I have read the Farmall 350 came standard with 2.50 inch diameter rear axles. Optional were 2.75 inch rear axles.

I measured the rear axles on my Farmall 350 and they are 2.75 inch diameter.

Question - what was the reason and or application that made a farmer order one of these tractors with the larger diameter axles? Internal to the rear end, was it constructed differently than 350s with 2.50 inch diameter rear axles, ie heavier gearing, bearings, etc. How would the larger axle and rear end compare to a M or 400 or 450 Farmall in terms of strength and capability?

I assume the larger axle is a good option for the Farmall 350? Is this a desirable option?

Any sage info is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Bill
cvphoto115784.jpg

cvphoto115785.jpg

cvphoto115786.jpg

no personal experience, but have also heard it was because of corn pickers breaking the thinner axles. 460s had similar results and axle options.

Option started on later 300 tractors and continued through the 460. To help with axle breakage, more so when wheels were moved way out on axle. Outer axle bearing was the same size as a 450. Inner bearing was the same size for both axles. No other change inside between axle size on a 350. Think some axle housings in the 460 time frame had the wall thickness increased. Another benefit of big axles was stouter wheel clamps. Wheel options same as a 450.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back