Farmall 400 and 450 Wide Front End Question

Bill VA

Thanks again everyone for your replies to my frequent posts all over YT.....

It's pretty much a given for our terrain I'm going to want a wide front end if I buy a Farmall 400. While I had my sights set on the 400, in as much as they are so similar to the 450, I'm interested in either. However, don't see to many wide front end 400/450?s and when I do they are pricey!

Question is - how much trouble is it to put an wide front end on a Farmall 400/450? I'm thinking I might be money ahead to find a clean narrow front model and add a wide front later - if I can find one.

Any WFE recommendations, i.e. IH or an aftermarket? When buying a WFE - what should I be looking for aside from the axle itself, steering linkages, etc?

Any sage advice is much appreciated.

Bill

The installation of the correct wide front is an easy bolt on. I have read on this forum that the IH rear tie rod SM version is compatible up to the 706. I can't personally verify that but I'm sure some of the posters on this site will know for sure. These wide fronts are out there and often show up on the YT ads, ebay, tractorhouse and others. $500 to %1000 is common but sipping is a killer so local salvage may be of interest. Good luck.

Hey Bill, a wide front end is not much more stable than a narrow front. If you're gonna roll over a wide front won't stop you.
At least with the narrow front you might be able to turn downhill fast enough to get that back wheel back on the ground. (been there twice with a m and a 400). Also a narrow front is unmatched in maneuverability, you really can turn on a dime. Get one with the narrow front and keep looking for a wide one, I've seen em on ebay for 500 bucks. M, 400, 450 560 will work plus there are several aftermarket ones out there. Good luck.

I have driven tractors about all of my life. Grew up with narrow fronts, the only tractor I ever turned over was a wide front. A wide front looks more stable, but a tractor will lean way over before the wide front does anything to stop it. I think that would be too late. I have both kinds now and like both depending on the job. I have two JD 4020's one wide front and one tricycle and use the narrow front the most. I also have a IH 766 factory narrow front and love it.

Hey Bill!

I have a nice 400 wide front on a Farmall M I would sell you. It is in GREAT shape, other than both of the tie rods have been broken and welded, and both of the rims are in bad shape, but if you had a narrow front, you could probably use those wheels on this one, so I guess all you really need is Tie Rods.

Not sure what it is worth, I would ask on here, and post a few pictures of it. I am in no rush, but do think I would like to sell it... Bryce

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back