Farmall 400 starter bendix

Greetings all -

My son's 400 has starter issues. Original bendix had issues and had to be replaced. Guy at the starter shop said he's not had good luck
with replacement bendixes. After hardly a month, this new bendix shattered. Tractor has been converted from 6 to 12 volt several
years ago.

Are there better sources for a bendix that will work like it should?

Thanks !

Short answer is no. If there were something better out there the starter shop should have used it instead of complaining about what they did sell you.

In a nutshell what happens is, someone orders a shipping container full of starter drives from overseas. They come into the country and are distributed to whoever wants to sell them. You're paying for the packaging.

Did you install the spring type or clutch type? Supposedly the clutch type are better.

Used to be some original nos delco number 1868804 around for gasoline. If getting another starter get the 12 volt used on part of the 350 and 450 gasoline tractors.

A good source is right here at YT. I bought one of the improved, positive ratchet type starter drives they sell here around 6 or 7 years ago for my Super A. It was easy to install and has functioned flawlessly. That tractor gets used on average about once a week and nary a problem with the starter since installing the new drive.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back