Farmall 450 cylinder head update

Hello all-

Thought I would give an update for my Farmall 450 cylinder head and coolant leak issue. I took the head to my engine machine shop. They pressure tested the cylinder head and magnafluxed for cracks. Found one crack in combustion chamber #3. Also pressure tested head to 40 PSI, but it did not leak under the pressure test, even with the crack. The crack was not next to the exhaust valve, it was off to the side more. They mentioned that this head had hardened valve seat installed, and the exhaust valves looked great. Even though the head did not leak under the pressure test, he said it still possibly could during heating and cooling cycles once bolted back on tractor, so I should try to get the crack welded before reinstalling. By looking at the head when I brought it in, the tech thought maybe the head gasket was to blame for coolant getting into #3 and #4 cylinders from the black colored staining around each combustion chamber.

Upon further investigation, this engine had an IHC head gasket made by Victor Reinz that I removed. It had Victor #1698, IHC #369957R2 stamped on it. I am thinking this is the wrong head gasket for a C-281 gasoline engine with cylinder head 362174R1, the pistons are the 374306R1 domed fire craters also. If I am looking at the parts books correctly, it should use head gasket 48957DE, or Victor 3149, correct? Any thoughts? Thanks!

-Jesse

Victor 3149 is correct. 1698 or369957R2 used to be sold for a standard bore C-248 I think. May cover all now and may be a fel pro one. Can get you a measurement for 3149 opening later to compare.

This post was edited by D Slater on 06/06/2022 at 03:26 pm.

(quoted from post at 15:16:57 06/06/22) Victor 3149 is correct. 1698 or369957R2 used to be sold for a standard bore C-248 I think. May cover all now and may be a fel pro one. Can get you a measurement for 3149 opening later to compare.

This post was edited by D Slater on 06/06/2022 at 03:26 pm.

I did order a new victor 3149 gasket, but UPS bent the hell out of it. I straightened it as best I could and set it on the block. The 3149 gasket seems to fit better over the 1698. The 1698 seems to overhang into the cylinders. I suppose this could have caused a coolant leak, not sure.

I am having a hard time finding another actual Victor 3149 gasket that is steel with the copper lined water port holes. Not too keen on the fiber Fel Pro gasket.

If it was that bent up when you received it I would have refused it and let them send it back. Bent head gaskets might as well be junked. A slight bow from the weight of the gasket as you pick it up in the middle is acceptable bent is not. I would put a different one on.

(quoted from post at 17:20:00 06/06/22) If it was that bent up when you received it I would have refused it and let them send it back. Bent head gaskets might as well be junked. A slight bow from the weight of the gasket as you pick it up in the middle is acceptable bent is not. I would put a different one on.

I already received a full refund. Was a NOS Ebay purchase. Yea, there was no way this gasket was useable!

What is the preference for most people, steel faced gasket or the fiber faced? Thanks

-Jesse

Original 1698 from some tears back would not be for a C-281. Does it have the letters IH on it also? If I remember correct at one time IH started selling 48957DE for C-248 through C-281 engines but wasn't long before they reinstated a 48957DD gasket for C-248 engines.

(quoted from post at 17:44:56 06/06/22) Original 1698 from some tears back would not be for a C-281. Does it have the letters IH on it also? If I remember correct at one time IH started selling 48957DE for C-248 through C-281 engines but wasn't long before they reinstated a 48957DD gasket for C-248 engines.

The old gasket does have the IHC logo and part number on it, as well as the Victor 1698 number

The Victor head gasket number should be 3843 for the 560 diesel. Found the number in a Clevite catalog. Hope this helps!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back