Farmall 966 Tachometer Not Working

dm2237

Hello, I'm trying to get the 966 ready for the upcoming hay season. Wanted to get the tach working. It came with a new tach, but it never worked. I took the cable off the drive gear end and turned it slow with a drill, and it worked. So I assumed the drive gear was bad. So I replaced it, and it still won't work. Looks like the cable is too small for the drive. But it fits the tach. Is that possible? Anything else to check? Thanks, Dan

Look at the gear in the drive. its hole should match the cable end. two possible issues: the end is just wrong, or the cable too short. Jim

(quoted from post at 20:11:58 05/27/22) Look at the gear in the drive. its hole should match the cable end. two possible issues: the end is just wrong, or the cable too short. Jim

To add that, some tach drives have a plastic insert that matches a round hole in the drive with a "key slot" to a square tach cable.

Looking at the parts catalog though, that doesn't seem to be the case here, though, at least from the factory.

ddVHR61.jpg

Example of drive insert.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back