Farmall A Input Bearing Replacement

JDIH

I need to replace the transmission input bearing on an A. Just wondering from someone who knows, is it just a split where the torque tube meets the front of the transmission? Any special tools or pullers involved? Is there a seal in there too or just a sealed bearing? Does the shaft coming from the clutch slide off the transmission input shaft AT the transmission?

This post was edited by JDIH on 05/04/2023 at 05:47 am.

There is a seal there and I split my A to replace it. The tractor just pulls apart there. I didn't change the bearing so I don't know how it comes out. I also don't recall how the shaft enters the transmission
and what drives it. A parts diagram will show that. It was several years ago I did the A but I'm going to soon do the seal in my 100 and based on some noise have some concern what I will find with the bearing.

You need to remove the torque tube where it joins to the transmission. There is a yoke on the front of the transmission, and a coupler in the yoke to connect it to the clutch shaft that goes to the engine. When you remove the yoke, there is a seal and a bearing retainer that gets removed, to show the bearing. There is nothing special needed to remove it, but it probably will take some persuasion to come off - and a small puller would make it a lot easier. When putting everything back together, you can put the bearing back on and use the yoke to pull it on the shaft all the way. It's not too complicated... Of course, while you're doing it, be sure to replace the seal and gasket. If the yoke has a groove in it from the old seal, it might be good to get a speedy-sleeve to keep it from eating up the new seal.

Hopefully these can help. You may be able
to remove the clutch side input shaft
bearing with a long punch through the top
cover. But the shaft itself is removed from
the pto side of the transmission. Seal
housing and yoke are visible in pics.

cvphoto153897.jpg

cvphoto153899.jpg

cvphoto153901.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back