I am restoring my grandfather's Farmall A - any recommendations on what type of sleeve puller I should buy?
You can buy one, but I made one out of a piece of threaded rod, a couple blocks, a big washer and a puck for the bottom of the sleeve that a machinist friend made to size. Crude, but it works. You don't need to move the sleeve far, just until it moves a little. Once it breaks free it will just lift out.

I have heard of some push the sleeves up from the bottom using a wood block and a hammer, but I haven't tried that. I am leery of distorting the bottom of the sleeve and making removing it harder, so I use the home made puller.
 
I am restoring my grandfather's Farmall A - any recommendations on what type of sleeve puller I should buy?
A Farmall A should be a wet-sleeve engine, meaning that the sleeves aren't a press fit in the block.

If you give the bottom of the sleeve a couple good whacks with a 2x4 or 4x4 and a sledgehammer, they should pop right out.

Just don't miss. :D

And make sure when you put it back together, clean up the o-ring grooves and the sealing surfaces real well otherwise you'll have oil and coolant mixing.

If you have any more questions just ask!
 
You can buy one, but I made one out of a piece of threaded rod, a couple blocks, a big washer and a puck for the bottom of the sleeve that a machinist friend made to size. Crude, but it works. You don't need to move the sleeve far, just until it moves a little. Once it breaks free it will just lift out.

I have heard of some push the sleeves up from the bottom using a wood block and a hammer, but I haven't tried that. I am leery of distorting the bottom of the sleeve and making removing it harder, so I use the home made puller.
The home made deal is what I have - cheap and works good.
 
Once good thing about pulling sleeves, you always find a lot of crude from the years in the block that I never had a lot of luck getting out by just trying to flush the block. With the sleeves gone its easy to clean our the crud - probably mostly minerals.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top