Farmall bn no spark

Kpoke

New User
Hello , I've got a Farmall bn that doesn't have spark . The distributor and stuff doesn't look anything like what I find online . The only number I can find on it is 6482-dax. Thanks [/img:3431f04502]

clean and gap the points and u will have spark. 95 percent fixes the problem points corrode when they sit closed.

6482-DAX is a casting number on part of on IH H4 MAGNETO.

Magnetos are self-powered and DO NOT put battery voltage to it!

(That being said if it is connected to an external igntion coil it has been ''farmerized'' to convert it to a sort of battery ignition.)

ASSUMING that's not the case, try disconnecting the ''kill'' wire from it and see if it has spark.

If NOT, the most likely case would be dirty/pitted/corroded breaker points.

If you want to check them, leave the little cover under the distributor cap that has TWO screws in it alone, the complete end of the mag held on by THREE screws needs to come off.

Under the little cover are the rotor drive gears that are TIMED using timing marks on them, someone could have messed that up previously.

Below is a link to the Blue Ribbon IH factory magneto service manual, go to the ''H-4'' section for complete info on your mag.

https://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www...Magnetos/GSS-5035 Service Manual Magnetos.htm

https://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%20Ribbon%20Service%20Manuals/GSS-5035%20Service%20Manual%20Magnetos/GSS-5035%20Service%20Manual%20Magnetos.htm

Ok. Thank you . I had looked at the cap and the 3 screws but just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. Thank you for the manual link that will really help .

Was the tractor running and then you lost spark? I have had a bad switch that did not allow me to have a spark. Easy to check.

(quoted from post at 07:45:45 09/01/23) Was the tractor running and then you lost spark? I have had a bad switch that did not allow me to have a spark. Easy to check.
it had been sitting for probably 10 years . Once I found the points and cleaned them good it fired up and never even sputtered . My on off switch doesn't work though

Now I have coolant leaking from just below the rear of the engine . It was pretty much out of coolant and when I added it It started dripping.
Is this a head gasket issue ?
mvphoto109246.jpg

[/img:cf56308eea]

Hello kpoke welcome to YT! If there is no visible water
coming an external surface like the back of the engine
where the head bolts to the engine block then
unfortunately the leak is coming from inside the clutch
housing. There is a round drive in plug in the back of
the engine, sealing a hole to the ..water jacket.. of the
engine over time they rust through and leak. In the link
it is number 10. Web search ..expansion plug.. for more
information. Of course the only to repair it is to split
the tractor and remove the flywheel. If you view that
link on a phone which I do not recommend, you
probably will not be able to tell the link will allow you to
see all the parts sections of your tractor.

Does not look like your working in the average farm shed!
CNHI Farmall BN online parts catalog

This post was edited by used red MN on 09/01/2023 at 07:44 pm.

(quoted from post at 14:02:20 09/01/23) Hello kpoke welcome to YT! If there is no visible water
coming an external surface like the back of the engine
where the head bolts to the engine block then
unfortunately the leak is coming from inside the clutch
housing. There is a round drive in plug in the back of
the engine, sealing a hole to the ..water jacket.. of the
engine over time they rust through and leak. In the link
it is number 10. Web search ..expansion plug.. for more
information. Of course the only to repair it is to split
the tractor and remove the flywheel. If you view that
link on a phone which I do not recommend, you
probably will not be able to tell the link will allow you to
see all the parts sections of your tractor.

Does not look like your working in the average farm shed!
CNHI Farmall BN online parts catalog

This post was edited by used red MN on 09/01/2023 at 07:44 pm.
Ok. Thanks for the info . How hard is it to remove the flywheel on these ? I'm just trying to get A idea of what is involved before I spilt it .

Can someone tell me if the shaft in this picture is supposed to have a lot of play ? It moves probably a half inch .
mvphoto109475.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back