Farmall C Hydraulics Leaking

scooterxs

New User
My C keeps dumping fluid into the crankcase. I noticed when i removed the pump that the seal was pushed into the drive gear. I replaced only to have it happen again so this time i punched the block around the seal hole so that it would help hold seal in place. Now it just blows out the lip on the seal.

My question is what could be causing this i'm thinking to much pressure but dont know what could be causing it. The shaft is worn slighty but didnt look like enough to be causing the problem this quickly. Within 10mins of running it dumps all fluid to where it wont lift anything. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

An obstruction in the hydraulic system ahead of the relief valve could be causing an excessive buildup of pressure.

Does the tractor labor and do the hydraulics squeal?

no the tractor runs fine hydraulics sound fine the only other issue i forgot to mention is the drive gear to the pump and camshaft gear show considerable amounts of wear. Like maybe its takin more power to spin the pump than it should.

Also i have no idea where the relief valve would be theres no valve in my pump. Is it in the manifold?

My c done that too. I took the pump apart and had the shaft brazed up then turned down,replaced an o-ring put it all back together and no problems since. You cant really see the wear with the naked eye. I was checking my oil in the crankcase and it was always way too full. Smoked alot too! The o-ring cost about 5 bucks from ih dealer. It's an easy fix. Brad

Use a speedi sleeve or redi sleeve (both registered trademarks of the same thing). About $25. Available at any good bearing shop. I don't like the idea of rebuilding a high speed shaft, as it has to be heated with the possibility of losing the temper. But there are procedures that do not get it that hot -- will take an experienced machinest to do that. The sleeve is the best answer, particularly since you have a seal. With an o-ring, the hole for the shaft has to be enlarged. But, if you are losing fluid that fast it sounds like you may have a pressure build up somewhere.

I used to work for the BNSF railway as a traveling mechanic. Everytime,without fail, I tried to fix a leak at the shaft on a hydraulic pump or motor without overhaulinmg dthe restd of it it would simply blow out the seal and continue leaking. I asked the manufacturer what they thought. Was told Motor or pump was bypassing internally and overpowering the seal. The seal is not intended to hold pressure. Just take care of the bypass within the unit.

I used to work for the BNSF railway as a traveling mechanic. Everytime,without fail, I tried to fix a leak at the shaft on a hydraulic pump or motor without overhaulinmg dthe restd of it it would simply blow out the seal and continue leaking. I asked the manufacturer what they thought. Was told Motor or pump was bypassing internally and overpowering the seal. The seal is not intended to hold pressure. Just take care of the bypass within the unit. Bernie Steffen

The O-ring has worn a groove in the shaft that allows the fluid to push pass the seal.

Either you braze the shaft and turn it down or you need to buy a Speedy Sleeve. It is quicker and easier to go with the sleeve.
Been there
Steve

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back