Farmall shop day

crsutton81

Being there is pretty cold weather for today and tomorrow accompanied with wind that makes it feel even colder, we pulled my son's Super A into the shop to have a project to work on near some heat. The hydraulic pump was leaking fluid badly into the crankcase. A new hydraulic pump was an item on his Christmas wish list. Good thing that's the route he wanted to go as the shaft on the old pump had some major movement to it around the seal. Got it all back together with a good servicing and a dipstick conversion added to replace the upper crankcase oil level petcock. Hopefully this one will be good to go for a while longer.
20240120_135900.jpg

20240120_135915.jpg

Attachments

• 20240120_151619.jpg
    20240120_151619.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 120
  • 20240120_153422.jpg
    20240120_153422.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 117
Being there is pretty cold weather for today and tomorrow accompanied with wind that makes it feel even colder, we pulled my son's Super A into the shop to have a project to work on near some heat. The hydraulic pump was leaking fluid badly into the crankcase. A new hydraulic pump was an item on his Christmas wish list. Good thing that's the route he wanted to go as the shaft on the old pump had some major movement to it around the seal. Got it all back together with a good servicing and a dipstick conversion added to replace the upper crankcase oil level petcock. Hopefully this one will be good to go for a while longer. View attachment 2873
View attachment 2871
It's a great day to be in the shop! With a fire in the stove ! 40° with a strong wind in Alabama. I've been working on our new C60 (cub) power unit

Nice to be near some heat this time of year. Good project for you and your son.
Where did you come up with the dipstick? I hadn't seen that before. Looks like a great idea.
Have fun, stay warm.
Dennis

Around 2001 my 100 pump shaft broke and took out the timing gears and governor. Everywhere I looked for a used pump they had just sold the pump. I was not going to pay big bucks for a pump I would hold out till I got lucky. I had a N in need of work so went at it that's when I made my first post on YT, they were more interested in fighting one another they were of no help. I got the N going and went back to the 100. I put out a request for a pump a member here sent me a nice pump with a new seal for $25 : ). I brought a used 140 engine with cracked block off ebay form a guy in Whiteville NC for $50, I used the head, crank, cam, governor, oil pan with dip stick, timing gears in the 100 block it will hunt. The 140 head is where its at that along makes it pop with a set of fire crater pistons its a strong horse.

While you are at it adjust the valves and give the distributor drive gears a shot are to of grease, I put a grease fitting in the drive housing.

Last edited:
It's a great day to be in the shop! With a fire in the stove ! 40° with a strong wind in Alabama. I've been working on our new C60 (cub) power unit
Grandpa it sounds like you may be having a heat wave compared to us today. The temp reached a high of 30 here on the shop thermometer with a good 20 + mph wind. I can take the cold and the wind if it's not simultaneously.

Nice to be near some heat this time of year. Good project for you and your son.
Where did you come up with the dipstick? I hadn't seen that before. Looks like a great idea.
Have fun, stay warm.
Dennis
We found the dipstick at steiner. It was a much needed and fun / simple project to work on today. We had grown tired of guessing what condition or level the engine oil really was at with the only way to access it via the peacocks. I guess old habits die hard from pulling the dipstick for inspection on every piece of equipment before we start it for the days work.

Around 2001 my 100 pump shaft broke and took out the timing gears and governor. Everywhere I looked for a used pump they had just sold the pump. I was not going to pay big bucks for a pump I would hold out till I got lucky. I had a N in need of work so went at it that's when I made my first post on YT, they were more interested in fighting one another they were of no help. I got the N going and went back to the 100. I put out a request for a pump a member here sent me a nice pump with a new seal for $25 : ). I brought a used 140 engine with cracked block off ebay form a guy in Whiteville NC for $50, I used the head, crank, cam, governor, oil pan with dip stick, timing gears in the 100 block it will hunt. The 140 head is where its at that along makes it pop with a set of fire crater pistons its a strong horse.

While you are at it adjust the valves and give the distributor drive gears a shot are to of grease, I put a grease fitting in the drive housing.
I have heard before about the fire crater pistons making a noticeable difference in these 1 row Farmalls. Grandaddy and dad overhauled the engine in Grandaddy's 100 the only time it's been into since new, back in '83. I wish that I knew what it has in it as it's way more peppy than any of the other 1 rows here, but Grandaddy is gone and dad cannot remember anything about it now. Thank you for the reminder on greasing the distributor shaft, as I have missed getting this one done recently.

Glad yall were able to get the Super A repaired. We were colder and had a stronger breeze than you. I thought about firing up the woodstove in the shop, but chickened out.. I had to feed the cows first thing yesterday morning which made me look for inside the house chores. The cows hugged the hay ring about all day yesterday. I finally figured out that they were using their bodies as a wing break to try to warm the hay before they ate it.

Grandpa it sounds like you may be having a heat wave compared to us today. The temp reached a high of 30 here on the shop thermometer with a good 20 + mph wind. I can take the cold and the wind if it's not simultaneously.
Heat wave is over ..... It's 2° this morning

We found the dipstick at steiner. It was a much needed and fun / simple project to work on today. We had grown tired of guessing what condition or level the engine oil really was at with the only way to access it via the peacocks. I guess old habits die hard from pulling the dipstick for inspection on every piece of equipment before we start it for the days work.
Thank you for the info on the dipstick. Have fun with your project.
Dennis

Being there is pretty cold weather for today and tomorrow accompanied with wind that makes it feel even colder, we pulled my son's Super A into the shop to have a project to work on near some heat. The hydraulic pump was leaking fluid badly into the crankcase. A new hydraulic pump was an item on his Christmas wish list. Good thing that's the route he wanted to go as the shaft on the old pump had some major movement to it around the seal. Got it all back together with a good servicing and a dipstick conversion added to replace the upper crankcase oil level petcock. Hopefully this one will be good to go for a while longer. View attachment 2873
View attachment 2871
One of the thinks that caught my attention was that wrench. Cool its not one you see everyday I just got done with a 2012 F150 the last job major front end work. Those wrenches made it a breeze along with a few other odd tools that are not used much anymore. I also replaced the water pump, all hoses, serviced the transmission and the oil pan gasket. Why I bring this up folks are always asking what to clean the floor with. Prior to this job I put a transfer case in a chebby all I used was a broom, mop and water and a little varsol that's it I don't work in a mess and try not to make one. The pan on the floor was to catch oil when I changed the oil filter those Fords are not potty trained. You can work clean you have to take pride in it are consent to being a grease monkey.

Attachments

• ODD TOOLS.jpg
    ODD TOOLS.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 32
  • TRASH CAN WORK TABLE.jpg
    TRASH CAN WORK TABLE.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 35

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back