Farmall C Steering U Joint

twjanak84

New User
New member here. Read this forum a lot for info but can't find an answer to this question.

The rearward steering u joint spider is toast on my '49 C. Is there a way to look up a part number for this? I'd remove mine and take measurements to match up but it's so trashed I couldn't get good dimensions. The one sold on this site has dimensions that don't appear will fit. Measuring mine shows more like 2.175" overall and roughly 0.99" cap.

Thanks
Travis
 
Remember all mesurments will be in inches. Try the Case IH parts website they should have a listing
 
Hello twj, welcome to YT! Not sure how much this will help you, because it shows options which probably means there is more than one number of part which are each different dimensions. At the link select Category Chassis and Diagram 120 steering. Messicks Farmall C parts catalog
This may also help. Moog Ujoints
Some time back I had ran across a site that showed very details measuring method for U joints, apparently I did not save the link like 8 thought I had.
 
If you do an internet search for "Bailey 133015 Universal Joint", that might work if you need to replace the whole universal joint.
It will work on a Farmall B steering, and if the shaft size is the same it might fit a C.
 
20240512_175357.jpg

Been super busy so not much time to clean this up and disassemble, but it looks like the forward yoke must be welded to the shaft given its proximity to that shaft mount/bushing.
Just curious, why would I need to replace the entire joint? There must be a spider out there that will fit. Maybe it is the one sold on this site, and it just fits different than the one currently installed.

Please excuse the engineered fastener, my grandfather was a heck of a farmer but not the best mechanic ; )
 
matthies, thanks, the 5-92 fit. I bought the SKF version at Napa for $18. They (SKF) list the inside lock up dimension which is what you need to get the correct joint since it's an inside snap ring.

If I remember correctly, the joint on this site just lists overall width and cap diameter. It may have fit as well, but no way to confirm without the inside lock up dimension.

Thanks for the help
 
View attachment 70932
Been super busy so not much time to clean this up and disassemble, but it looks like the forward yoke must be welded to the shaft given its proximity to that shaft mount/bushing.
Just curious, why would I need to replace the entire joint? There must be a spider out there that will fit. Maybe it is the one sold on this site, and it just fits different than the one currently installed.

Please excuse the engineered fastener, my grandfather was a heck of a farmer but not the best mechanic ; )
He went through the depression , no excuses necessary!
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top