Farmall H carb adjustment

Hi everyone, I recently got an H running that had been sitting for about 10 years. New spark plugs and wires, points and condenser, and cleaned the carb. It ran ok but not awesome. I put a carb kit and float in it and set the screws to the initial adjustment and it has NOT run right since. It s running very rich, smokes a lot and I can t get it above half throttle without it stalling. It backfires and actually shot a couple flames out :shock: I ve rebuilt carbs before but never had this issue so I m pretty stumped :?

you sure the firing order is correct? 1 3 4 2 clockwise. a carburator will not cause backfire.

Hello Farmallgirl welcome to YT! Did your cleaning
include soaking it in a pail of carb cleaner overnight?
Then poking a wire through every passage you see
then spraying carb cleaner in those passages and then
giving them a good blast of compressed air? That is a
mandatory good practice when cleaning carbs. Then
initial setting are just that ..initial.. However, smoking
rich and dying before coming up to speed do not
coincide very well. Also running rich does not coincide
with what I am going to suggest but going to do it
anyway. If you have read much on this forum before
you joined you will know that many ..will not run right..
problems are solved by proper fuel flow. Take the carb
drain plug out with the gas turned on. It should flow
out strong for 10 seconds or so until the carb bowl
empties. But then it should continue with a stream and
not slow down to a dribble. Hopefully it was as easy as
rustreds reply and your plug wires where not on in the
proper order.

As Rustred indicates, check the spark/firing order first, point setting as well. Make sure the air cleaner is
not plugged up. The choke needs to be used only at the very first firing, then off. The initial carb setting
should work unless the float is touching the inside of the bowl and that happens. Jim

I did used carb cleaner and compressed air when I cleaned the carb however I did not poke through all the holes.. I will check the fuel flow and the firing order too..

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back