Farmall H won't start

larzman

New User
I'm a new Farmall H tractor owner. The tractor was running fine back in the spring, although it never started great, it did start. Now, I cannot get my H to turn over, even when attached to a battery charger with the charger set to engine start (100 amp). The battery measures 6.93VDC when not connected to anything. I replaced the starter with a rebuilt one from Amazon, still won't even roll over. I bench tested the old and new starters, connecting (+) battery post to the starter housing and (-) battery post to starter connection post. I momentarily touched the (-) lead on the battery to test. Nothing happened with either starter (connected same way). Is this a battery issue?

If I buy a new battery, I will do the conversion to 12V, as I want to permanently resolve the starting problem. Can I use the 6V coil if I add a dropdown resistor? Any recommendations and source for a good 12V alternator that will fit?

(quoted from post at 10:52:30 07/27/21) I'm a new Farmall H tractor owner. The tractor was running fine back in the spring, although it never started great, it did start. Now, I cannot get my H to turn over, even when attached to a battery charger with the charger set to engine start (100 amp). The battery measures 6.93VDC when not connected to anything. I replaced the starter with a rebuilt one from Amazon, still won't even roll over. I bench tested the old and new starters, connecting (+) battery post to the starter housing and (-) battery post to starter connection post. I momentarily touched the (-) lead on the battery to test. Nothing happened with either starter (connected same way). Is this a battery issue?

If I buy a new battery, I will do the conversion to 12V, as I want to permanently resolve the starting problem. Can I use the 6V coil if I add a dropdown resistor? Any recommendations and source for a good 12V alternator that will fit?
ry starter on your truck or car battery

Best to find the problem now than try to find it after making changes, which can add more problems and confusion.

Using your voltmeter, connect it directly to the battery posts, not the cable ends, but the actual posts.

Try the starter. If the voltage drops to near zero, the battery is bad. If the voltage stays high, move one test lead at a time, each time trying the starter. Keep repeating the test until you narrow down where the voltage drop is.

Yes you can use a 1 1/2 ohm ballast resistor and keep the 6v coil.

No alternator will fit without modifying the bracket. The pulley will also need to be changed to fit the wide belt.
Very important to get the mount right, everything must be straight and solid for the belt to last and stay on. If you are handy fabbing a bracket, best make your own. The aftermarket brackets seldom work or fit well.

The most common and economical alternator is a 10SI Delco with the one wire conversion internal regulator.

First thing it trouble shooting.
#1 check all battery cable connections and make sure there clean tight and bright.
#2 make sure the starter drive has not locked up in the ring gear by removing the starter and putting it back on
#3 make sure where the starter bolt on is clean so the starter can ground out as it needs to
#4 if you not sure about the battery take a 12 volt battery and set in it and give it a try. You can do so with out changing any thing just for trouble shooting

Pull all 4 spark plugs and try it. Sounds like it is stuck,maybe hydro
locked (water in the muffler)

Thanks all for the tips.

Found out battery was dead/useless. Beings that I had to buy battery, I stepped up to a 12V setup. Just got alternator today and will be installing it when I get a ballast resistor for coil. Looking forward to being able to just hit the started button and have it start immediately.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back