Farmall M Transmission and Engine

I'm working on a 1952 Farmall M for a relative, just trying to get it running (not restore). This tractor has been sitting around for a long time so I'm trying to check it over bit by bit. The main problem is that it won't turn over and start. I found the battery was old and likely no good, but before bothering with replacing it and the wiring I tried to pull start it. With the clutch disengaged and put in first gear, as soon as I let out the clutch the wheels lock up. I then took the gear shifter off and confirmed it was not stuck in two gears. I then took the top cover off the transmission and confirmed all the shafts are able to move. With the rear tires off the ground and the clutch disengaged, I can go through the gears and all works correctly. I did find the left brake was bad, adding resistance to that wheel, so I removed it for now. With the clutch engaged and the transmission in any gear, I am not able to get it to move the engine. I don't have an area or jacks to split the tractor so hoping someone has some ideas of what I can test or inspect to narrow down where the issue is.

Makes sense, so while I have the top cover off still, should I be able to put it in 5th and turn the wheels to turn the engine, or will that be too hard to do by hand?

With one wheel jacked up and transmission manually put in 5th, I can move the engine using the lifted wheel. I'll work on getting the top cover and gas tank back on and see what it does now. Thanks!

Where has it been setting around? If outside unfortunately it is very likely the pistons are rusted tight to the cylinder bores. Even if the exhaust was covered the pipe that sticks through the hood the muffler goes on is threaded into the exhaust manifold and often those threads do not seal and water runs down the outside of the muffler down the pipe past the threads into the exhaust manifold. Then down past an open exhaust valve and into the cylinder. You need to pull the spark plugs out of the engine and see if one or more look like a big clump of rust. If so then see if that cylinder has water in it. If it does in my opinion you will likely be pulling the cylinder head off of the engine. Sorry to inform you of this but often rusted stuck pistons in tractor engine end up being driven out with a sledge hammer. Probably your best option to check how tight it is stuck is to pull the starter and pry against the gear teeth on the flywheel with something like a 2 ft long crow bar. If she will not move the head and oil pan will likely have to come off. Have you checked if there is water in the no of the oil pan?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back