Massey 180 won't turn over unless the clutch is disengaged.

I've worked on it quite a bit this weekend. The multipower linkage seems to be disconnected from the spool value, which is why it is stuck in high. That will require splitting from the bell to fix. I am pretty confident that the engine is locking up because the multipower is stuck between high and low. This could be because of dirt or warped discs in the multipower clutch pack. This is going to require pulling the transmission to rebuild the clutch pack. It will take me a few weeks or more to do it but I will update with what I find.

I've worked on it quite a bit this weekend. The multipower linkage seems to be disconnected from the spool value, which is why it is stuck in high. That will require splitting from the bell to fix. I am pretty confident that the engine is locking up because the multipower is stuck between high and low. This could be because of dirt or warped discs in the multipower clutch pack. This is going to require pulling the transmission to rebuild the clutch pack. It will take me a few weeks or more to do it but I will update with what I find.
It's not possible for it to be stuck between Hi and Lo. High uses the MP clutch pack, Lo uses a one way mechanical jaw clutch. I still think you have internal gear damage being an OLD MF mechanic..

I finally got time to split the tractor. I completely removed the transmission. First off, the multipower spool valve was frozen in high which is why the lever wouldn't work. Second, the input overdrive pinion gear (what I call the multipower high gear) had 4 teeth sheered off in a row. The overdrive gear that it meshes with was also missing some teeth. Everything else in the transmission was fine, but I had to gut the entire thing to get them out. Putting it back together is going to be fun...

I finally got time to split the tractor. I completely removed the transmission. First off, the multipower spool valve was frozen in high which is why the lever wouldn't work. Second, the input overdrive pinion gear (what I call the multipower high gear) had 4 teeth sheered off in a row. The overdrive gear that it meshes with was also missing some teeth. Everything else in the transmission was fine, but I had to gut the entire thing to get them out. Putting it back together is going to be fun...
Wow, as an old MF mechanic, I've never seen those gears damaged. I wonder if someone had it coasting downhill then shifted the MP into high?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back