Farmall M v8 Diesel conversion

WyattO

New User
I have a 49 Farmall M and am looking to make a puller with it. I have an old 7.3 idi engine that is just sitting as well and was wondering if there is anyone who has made that swap of if someone could put me in contact with someone who has?

I would like to do this swap because I have the engine and the factory engine is blown up. Does the swap even work, and if it does how hard would it be to complete? Any help would be appreciated!

Nothing is as simple as it seems. Can it be done, yes. From Frame rails to engine plate there are many many parts to fabricate/modify. The M differential and
finals are not strong enough to handle the 560 6 cylinder, so modifications might need to start there with upgrades and bearing replacements. Consider also what
class it would need to compete in at your local track and make decisions based on outcomes. Jim

There are a few you tube videos on them... one
very nicely done, looks factory. Just google 7.3 in
Farmall M. But, the problem with your project is the
motor ... few engines cost more to rebuild than a
pre-chamber 7.3; 20 years ago a set of pistons was
$800... just the pistons. Valley pan gasket like $75...
plus the machine work. If youre set on a pre-
chamber 7.3, I would suggest finding one that runs
(not too hard to find), graft THAT one to the tractor,
the tractor, then major it if you are confident that the
project has possibilities. That way, youll have some
capital to work with for all the custom work to get
the engine in the tractor.

Would like to add that you might actually find a nice one for a decent price because people will persist in comparing them to modern iron, and M-F them all over the place; which will work good for you as this will help keep the price down. In the salt belt, the trucks were dissolved long before the motor was used up, probably in the neighborhood of 250,000 miles, which is basically nothing for that motor. Another advantage is having a parts motor ... Im hearing that cylinder heads are getting hard to find...

put that engine in an 806 then u will have a good tractor. that little M wont take it as a working tractor. plus they only run at 1600 rpm.
you probably change your mind when you find out the cost.

I've seen an M with a 7.3L POWERSTROKE in it, the M should have no problem with the 7.3L IDI. I don't know if
the 7.3L flywheel fits in the bellhousing of the M. I've got the flywheel from my 7.3L PSD sitting on the
floor out in my shop, but I'm not dropping the belly pump on the M to see if it fits in an M.
I'm not sure how successful a pulling tractor the 7.3L IDI would make, they only made 185 hp @ 3000 rpm. The
turbocharged version only 190.
I saw a turbo-charged Super M-TA pulling tractor video years ago that made way over 200 hp, probably over
300, it blew smoke like a Pro-Stock pulling tractor.
You've got the engine, the engine plates are available. As a kid I saw an M with a Ford GAA engine out of a
Sherman Tank pull all over western Illinois and Eastern Iowa, stock that engine was 1100 Cid, 500 hp @ 2600,
1050#/ft @ 2200, he was running larger than stock rear tires, 18.4x34's I think. No rearend problems. Check
with LEAMAN Tractor Parts in Willow, PA, he will have the parts to put your engine in an M.

Just because I haven't seen this mentioned, I do know that when a small block Chevy V8 is installed in an M, standard procedure is to adapt the stock Farmall M flywheel to the Chevy crankshaft. That way the original M starter can still be used.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back