Give us a picture of the problem area and we might have some solutions for you. I've unsoldered and replaced necks on radiators, even the cast iron ones that are riveted and soldered. It's not all that hard if you do the prep work well. It's not quick, but if its the filler spout or the top neck, you can do it in place. There also seems to be several used ones for sale out there. steveI have a Super A that I just finished Restoring for my ffa project. The radiator seeps from the top neck. It has been pressure tested and is unrepariable. What can I do? If the water is low enough it won't leak. How low is too low?
I would try this only as last resort. Once you apply epoxy, a proper repair may not be possible. My 49 Pontiac top hose neck developed a bad leak. I took it to a radiator shop and they re soldered it. They said it also showed signs of weeping on the lower tank seam and wouldn't dare try to repair. A replacement radiator is in the $700 range. For the little bit it gets run, I leave the cap loose and add about a quart of coolant once a year. A lot depends on what you plan to do with it. That being said, when I redid my A, the radiator had a fin with a 1/16" hole in it that had a JB Weld repair prior to my owning it. The radiator was a greasy mess and in cleaning it I managed to pop the repair out without knowing it. When I filled it with coolant after I was done reassembling, I had had a steady stream out of it. Know I might be replacing the radiator, I cleaned the area as 4wtom suggest and filled with JB Weld. It has mowed 2 acres for 6 years without leaking.If you clean the area good down to shinny brass you MIGHT be able to seal the leak with silicone gasket maker or JB weld.
When it's clean to shiney brass that's the best time to solder it!If you clean the area good down to shinny brass you MIGHT be able to seal the leak with silicone gasket maker or JB weld.
Just to where you can see water above the tops of the fins by looking down in the filler neck is fine, especially if you don't plan on doing anything but showing, parading, and/or riding around on the tractor. If you were going to take it out and plow all day with it, I'd recommend trying to find a good used radiator at bare minimum, or investing in a new radiator.I have a Super A that I just finished Restoring for my ffa project. The radiator seeps from the top neck. It has been pressure tested and is unrepariable. What can I do? If the water is low enough it won't leak. How low is too low?
That is a new one on me. What does the black pepper do? Thanks.Start it up add antifreeze and a tablespoon of black pepper and run it for 15 minutes or so.
Very true. But if your anything like me, trying to solder a radiator does nothing but create a bigger leak (and I soldered copper plumbing for a living for 8 years).When it's clean to shiney brass that's the best time to solder it!
Stops the leak. I had a John Deere 70 that the water leaked out almost as fast as I put it in. I was told to put black pepper in it and it stopped the leak in seconds . It was still in it when I sold it 10 years later. Might have to add more once in a while but for a seldom used tractor it works great .That is a new one on me. What does the black pepper do? Thanks.
We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.
Copyright © 1997-2025 Yesterday's Tractor Co.
All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.
Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters
Website Accessibility Policy