Farmall starter

gidtex

Did the early delco remy starter have only one shaft bushing. Starter # 1107021.starter was on farmall super a 1954.thanks

Found on goggle the starter was used 1939 -1944 farmall a b I only seen one braze or bronze it was on drive end. I measure bore on brush plate had about 6 thousand between shaft and bore first one I've seen with one bushing

Found on goggle the starter was used 1939 -1944 farmall a b I only seen one braze or bronze it was on drive end. I measure bore on brush plate had about 6 thousand between shaft and bore first one I've seen with one bushing
Yes, some were made that way, IIRC, some Gm Delco automotive starters were made without a CE bushing, as well

So you are saying the shaft on the commutator end uses the cast iron end plate as a wear surface? It rides in the ID of the cast iron bore?
From a Vintage Chevrolet Forum...

"Most of the original starters with the cast iron brush end plate with the expansion plug in the end did not come from the factory with a bushing in them that I have rebuilt. They ran metal to metal and required lubrication to prevent wear which didn't happen often as noted by tonyw. I take the expansion plug out, center the end cover in a lathe to match the machined flange ledge on the cover were is locates to the field housing, bore it out for a bushing (an oil lite bushing works the best) then ream the bushing to fit the armature shaft as there my be slight wear on the shaft."

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back