Farmhand Accumulator

dhermesc

We have a Farmhand accumulator (8 bale) that we pull behind a New Holland 276 baler. It works ok except the hydraulic pump is PTO driven and has a LONG pto shaft added to the end of the tractor's PTO and then drives the baler. This extra long shaft (and the heavy pump) look like an accident waiting to happen - especially in our hilly ground putting lots of strain on the PTO at different angles.

Anyone know where I can locate a flywheel driven hydraulic pump to run the accumulator? Or how much of a hydraulic system do you need to run the accumulator off the tractor's hydraulics? We have been running it on a 1965 706 diesel and might be running it on an Allis 180.

I ask this because two years in a row we have twisted the PTO extension that runs through the hydraulic pump and I just hate the idea of breaking off the PTO shaft on the tractor which would probably result in the hydraulic pump and baler PTO taking quite the beating.

Are you the original owner? A lot of those accumulators were sold around here. Any that I recall had the pump drive off of the baler flywheel. Sounds like the accumulator lost its original pump and this was the solution for a previous owner. The best thing you can do if no changes are planned is to keep any slip sleeves in the drive line well lubricated. Maybe if you have a manual maybe it will say what model the original pump was so you could make a change.

Yes, i have seen them run off the balers flywheels also it uses just a regular V belt, i guess they don't need a vee on the flywheel end, i would change that too, as soon as possible!

Sounds like you have one of the through-shaft hydraulic pumps, and a PTO extension that runs through it (probably about 18 or so?) I never had much patience for them, but there are a surprising number of people who run them. One of the better Farmhand systems was to have a similar shaft extension on the baler end, rather than the tractor end. See the link below, which is the hydraulic system parts manual for the F100 accumulator. There were a pile of different pump mounting options available. Go to page 14 and you'll see their system of mounting off the flywheel. They used two B-sized belts.

I don't think I'd want to run that accumulator off the hydraulics of a 706 or 180. Looks like Farmhand calls for a 10 - 15 GPM system. Both tractors might theoretically offer barely enough flow, it'll be right on the limit, and at the duty cycle of one of those accumulators I think you'd find you either didn't have enough flow or started to heat things up pretty quickly.

Shouldn't be too hard to fab up a bracket for a pump driven off the baler flywheel. As others have said, most pumps/throwers driven off a baler flywheel don't require a grooved flywheel - there's enough surface in contact with the belt that they don't slip, and generally track ok. But then again, this will require more power than a lot of the stooker/thrower pumps you see running off the flywheel. Just make sure you size the pump and pulley ok to get the right GPM (and RPM to achieve the GPM). You will some fairly sturdy bracketry, decent sized belt(s), and provision to tighten as the belt stretches. 12 GPM at 1500 psi requires about 10 HP, so you probably need a pair of B-sized belts (possibly one 5V will do it if you get the pump pulley large enough, but I wouldn't risk it). I assume you still have the original Farmhand reservoir, so that should be sized ok.
Farmhand Accumulator Hydraulic System

What pto pump are you using, model and number. Look up its specs on line, see what kind of pressure and volume that pump puts out.

Can see if a tractor you have puts out the same.

Paul

Balers like the NH 276 were designed to run a thrower which was run via the flywheel which had a groove for a belt. If it did not it probably would be easy to find a grooved flywheel in a parts yard. Something oddball like an Oliver or AC baler you might be stuck with what you have.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back