ferguson to35 guide rod spring

Doug Eaton

New User
I have found a 12"spring in the bottom of my hydraulic housing attached to nothing.It may be a guide rod spring,but I don't know what that is or what it does.As a matter of fact,what is a guide rod and its purpose?My hydraulics do not work unless the engine is revved up but the position control is not working at all.When it goes up,it is very weak and slow.Any advice will be appreciated.DD
 
It seems that it could be one of the springs on the Control Lever linkage inside, the fact that Position Control is not working sort of confirms it. The fact that the hydraulics wont lift much weight is not usually due to a control problem, more or a worn pump problem, of course if you have been working it without position control and doing everything with Draft Control you may have been discharging the safety valve over a long period of time and the pressure has dropped because the valve is worn and leaking, this needs replacing. It sounds as though you have the top cover off from how you describe it, if you have, look at the pistons on the Pump, are they badly scored on the shiny part that goes into the side chambers? If they are then the chambers will be the same and the Pump needs overhauling. The Top Cover will require totally resetting before it is refitted. If you need more info on this email me and tell me what you need and I will send it....John
 
Hello,John please bear with me.I got this 59 fergie that had been satting for a few years outside.The lifts were working very good and strong when you first start the tractor no matter where the position control lever was.I would take awhile before they would go back down after the tractor was turned off.I took the standpipe out and the lifts will drop rapidly,but they quit working all together except when you rev the motor up real high and they would go up very slowly and be very weak.Ichanged the grease out a few times and replaced with gl-1 90wt.This didnt help anything.I replaced both orings on the stand pipe and it didnt help either.I am going to replace the pressure relief valve very shortly as I have it out already.The spring I found loose in the bottom of the case is probably what you said...a control valve spring as I don't see anything missing myself.I do not have the top off the hydraulics just both side plates and stand pipe plate for visibitly.Could you direct me on what I should do next.I feel the pump is okay,since it did work strong before I moved the standpipe and change oil.The position lever just seemed to be stuck in upward position.I have moved levers back and forth from the right side panel and nothing has changed.Please guide me with your knowledge and wisdom as I am not a mechanic but will tackle anything involving tools.Thanks Doug
 
Hello,John please bear with me.I got this 59 fergie that had been satting for a few years outside.The lifts were working very good and strong when you first start the tractor no matter where the position control lever was.I would take awhile before they would go back down after the tractor was turned off.I took the standpipe out and the lifts will drop rapidly,but they quit working all together except when you rev the motor up real high and they would go up very slowly and be very weak.Ichanged the grease out a few times and replaced with gl-1 90wt.This didnt help anything.I replaced both orings on the stand pipe and it didnt help either.I am going to replace the pressure relief valve very shortly as I have it out already.The spring I found loose in the bottom of the case is probably what you said...a control valve spring as I don't see anything missing myself.I do not have the top off the hydraulics just both side plates and stand pipe plate for visibitly.Could you direct me on what I should do next.I feel the pump is okay,since it did work strong before I moved the standpipe and change oil.The position lever just seemed to be stuck in upward position.I have moved levers back and forth from the right side panel and nothing has changed.Please guide me with your knowledge and wisdom as I am not a mechanic but will tackle anything involving tools.Thanks Doug
 
Hi Doug,If you take the stack pipe out, the hydraulics would drop as there is nothing to hold them up when you do that, everything that controls lifting and lowering is in the Pump and taking the stack pipe out disconnects it all. The pressure relief valve will not make any difference to the hydraulics not lowering, all that would do if it is worn or faulty is to stop it building up enough pressure to pick up anything, so forget that for the time being. Has your Tractor had a replacement Pump and is now fitted with an oil filter, the originals weren't. If it does have a filter it may need cleaning as it appears that it isn't sucking oil. Or if there is no filter, have you tried manually operating the Control Valve lever on the Pump (the one that comes up out of the oil with the roller at the end) if the Pump then operates as it should do, and lift and lower weight, then it is the linkage in the Top Cover that requires checking and re-setting. Replacing the "O" rings on the stack pipe is ok but that won't cause the fault you have, if they leak the hydraulics will drop all the time and won't hold. Don't go changing parts until you know what the problem is as it can get very expensive doing it that way, a relief valve does not usually stop working just like that. Is the Position Control Lever still stuck or not, if it is, somehow the linkage is trapped inside and that would account for the spring you found. When you move the Quadrant Levers (separately) they should move the Pump Control Lever, both of them should do that.Never leave the Draft Lever (the square one)at the top of the quadrant or it will keep blowing the safety valve. If the Pump was worn it wouldn't suddenly go like that it would go gradually over months. Check the Pump Control Lever like I asked you, and let me know if it works when you do that please. Email me direct at:- [email protected] and then I can send you the information and pictures that will help you.....John
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top