keh

Well-known Member

Got something accomplished the last 2 days. Got turkey litter spread on most of the pastures and hay fields, then got maybe an inch of rain which is still coming down gently. The guys that spread it had a loader broke down so I tool the loader tractor with cab and loaded for them. Was careful to go low and slow with the loaded bucket where possible and if I had to go with the bucket high I went very slow and very very slow when turning.

KEH
 
Saved yourself a ton of money and got some good nutrition in the process. Won't be long before I will meet the "grim reaper" and see what seed and fert is going to cost me this year. I know it's bad, just how bad is the question.

Mark
 
mark go see your banker before you go for the fertlizer. i ferterlized 10 acres of costal monday and it was $661 per ton. price of horse hay just went up .u d in tx
 
Thanks.

Did call my hay seed supplier this am. He just got in his 1st shipment of this year's seed and said it would be DOWN from last year's price. Hasn't had time to price it out yet.

Can you believe that? I told him he was an honest man. I'm anticipating $16 a bag.

History. Seed for our sorghum, sudan, cross hay comes from W. Texas. Normally the seed costs about $10 a 50# bag. Last season, due to the drought we experienced for 2 years, the price was $19 a bag and the supply was short.....only producers were those who irrigated.

There was plenty of moisture for this year's crop. Only thing to impact the price was rising costs of diesel and fert. Apparently they didn't equal the cost of the drought.

So, at least the seed is cheaper.

I just looked it up and last year I paid $320 a ton for combination fert. I'm estimating about $600 this year after discussions with the supplier and watching the commodities market and fert miners like MOS, AGU, TRA, POT, and MON to name a few. I just filled my diesel storage tanks at $3.44/gal farm diesel. Just ran the numbers and barring any breakdowns, (hopefully got it all fixed last year) my production cost, based on an anticipated better than average yield due to adequate moisture, is $35 per 5x6 roll. That's 5.5 pre-boot rolls per acre which is a very achievable number. I have it priced at $45 for my only customer plus shipping of $5 per bale. He is happy with that even though about 3-4 years ago he could have had the same thing for $25. So the part for me is going to be great quality and at $35 it will be a bargain. I'm tickled. I'm retired and don't rely on this for my primary income. If it coverd expenses I'd be elated.

Mark
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top