Final drive leaking problems on a B

jkmdg84

Member
I need some advice on a leaking right final drive oil seal on a B. I have now replaced that seal twice and it is still leaking. After the first seal went bust I put a speedi sleeve on the differential shaft thinking that was the culprit. The second seal used was from Case. Before i reinstalled the final drive the second time I spun the axle to see if it was leaking and it looked good. So I was extremely frustrated after taking it down the road and then seeing oil dripping out the weep hole.

I don?t know what else to do or what I did incorrectly. Did I install the seal the wrong way (see pic)? Looking for some advice on where to go from here. Thanks
 
(quoted from post at 01:29:19 04/29/18) I need some advice on a leaking right final drive oil seal on a B. I have now replaced that seal twice and it is still leaking. After the first seal went bust I put a speedi sleeve on the differential shaft thinking that was the culprit. The second seal used was from Case. Before i reinstalled the final drive the second time I spun the axle to see if it was leaking and it looked good. So I was extremely frustrated after taking it down the road and then seeing oil dripping out the weep hole.

I don?t know what else to do or what I did incorrectly. Did I install the seal the wrong way (see pic)? Looking for some advice on where to go from here. Thanks
 

Sorry hope it works this time. Im ruining my own post!
a266312.jpg

a266313.jpg
 
I'm not clear on the location of your problem. Is it a differential shaft seal leaking at the differential end?
 
Just some thoughts:
Does the Speedi-Sleeve fit right?
Is the seal installed with the lip towards the oil?
How much oil is in the drive, is it overfilled?
What kind of oil are you using, should be 90wt gear oil?

Does the axle seal leak as well?
 
I matched the seal with the corresponding sleeve and it went on pretty snug. I even put a little permatex #2 on the inside of the sleeve. It?s 80w-90 oil and I?m pretty certain I put in the 3 pints that the manual says (I will maybe drain and replace to double check though). The direction of the seal is what I keep coming back to worrying about. I attached a couple pictures. Does A or B go towards the oil side? Maybe I put it in the wrong way...
a266350.jpg

a266351.jpg
 
"Does A or B go towards the oil side?"
That's a good question. That seal doesn't look like the type I am familiar with. Usually, the open side goes toward the oil, but that seal doen't have an open side. I'm not sure which way is correct.

Maybe somebody else can jump in with the answer?
 
Generally the lip goes to the side that has the material you are trying to contain. Appears to me that the lip is on side A. If true then side A goes to the oil side.
 
Another way to describe the correct way to install a seal is to look for the little garter spring. The garter spring will face the oil.
Many times, a seal will have a lip facing each way. The lip,facing away from the oil is sometimes known as a ?wiper? lip, whose function is to try to keep dust and dirt and mud out of the main lip.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top