Fire Extinguisher

Caryc

I was looking around in the grip shop today and I saw the fire extinguisher. It is an "ABC" dry chemical by Kidde. 4 1/2" diameter and 14 1/2" tall. The needle is still in the small green zone on the gauge.

When I shake it I don't feel the contents move in the cannister. Is this thing still good? I'd say it's about 12 years old.

If its really 12 years old, its way past its test date, most of the small ones are not made to be refilled, protect
your property and get a new one. As a side note, I turn all mine in the shop and in my truck upside down and
give them a couple of raps with a dead blow hammer to stir everything up every few months

Yeah, I guess I'll just replace it. I thought about pulling the pin and just giving it a test shot, but then I would worry that the valve might not seal properly again and it might just slowly leak out the propellant.

Most pressurized fire extinguishers are nitrogen pressurized. So if it still in the green zone it should be functional.

(quoted from post at 08:42:53 08/05/23) Most pressurized fire extinguishers are nitrogen pressurized. So if it still in the green zone it should be functional.

..................... as long as the powder hasn't solidified. I would't bet my life or home on something that "should be functional".

(quoted from post at 22:22:04 08/04/23)
Yeah, I guess I'll just replace it. I thought about pulling the pin and just giving it a test shot, but then I would worry that the valve might not seal properly again and it might just slowly leak out the propellant.

These are one time use per filling/service. A test shot requires a refill service after to be sure it is ready for the next time. They can leak off after a discharge.

I would change them out to a new one. They dont cost that much with respect to what they are protecting. Its one of those things that has to work when needed. Besides, expired fire extinguishers
make spectator rifle targets.

I've been lucky, but every time I try to use one of my OLD fire extinguishers they don't work. Bucket of water, wet burlap bags and a little
common sense work better. I did set my polyester shorts on fire running an angle grinder.

A very good alternative to those is a "loaded stream", which is a 2.5 gal. air pressurized water with some detergent added. You can test them all you want because you can service them yourself. More $ up front but much longer serviceable life, and with the added detergent it does a nice job on flammable liquids. And waaaaay better on ordinary combustibles.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back