Ford 821 low pwr steering pressure

45bldg

Well I was wondering what the pressure is supposed to be on the power steering pump of a 821 Ford and it has the cannister type
resivour and pump combination and the cannister stands up not laying down. and to the best of my knowledge it came with steering
cylinder on each side .....which i just replaced one ..and the tie rod to then drag link as it was missing too.......so I
replaced the power steering pump pulley too as someone tryed to take it off and broke it on the inside and new filter .. and had
it off the tractor to clean it out,,,It did feel good as a pump when I had it on the bench and was smooth and I could turn the
pulley and pump oil out if I spun it fast by hand......I thought for sure it was going to be good..So I then put it all back
together . I first put the gauge in one of the 4 lines going to a cylinder ...only got 100.psi max....? so then I went right to
the pump and removed the steel pressure line...attached the guage directly on it and I even removed the new filter hoping for more
pressure and I only got 100 psi at high idle and 250 max.when I ran it fast..? .. So I did order a pump seal kit earlier as did
not think I would need it..but its just the main gasket and seals ....thats all.. a seal kit not repair kit,,and so before I do
that I was wondering if it could be a good punp but have a pressuure relief issue or a weak spring that I migh be able to shim
for more pressure? well there is 2 hex head blts that look like one is ok to remove and the other rquires to split the 2 jalfs of
the pump .Tomorrow I will remove the pumg again..and get the to the easy one ....If this pump was good What is the pressure its
supposed to be ? Also I guess its a ball and recipricating style ..not a gear or vane pump..Has anyone ever took one of these
apart and found parts for it ? and what would I see that shows its bad?...how can I tell ..?any sugestions about this ? Also am
I right that when the tractor is sitting running and steering wheel is idle that if I was to remove the 4 pressure lines coming
off the back { 2 on each side to the rear} that go to the cylinders that if the wheel is not being moved at all. there should
be NO fluid at all coming out of any of the 4 ports? as Only when you start to move the wheel in either direction will there be
fluid coming out any of the 4 ?
cvphoto165991.jpg

cvphoto165992.jpg

cvphoto165993.jpg

Hydraulics, like in a power steering pump or in a 3 point lift, will not build pressure unless it is doing work. The pressure rating of the pump is the pressure that the relief valve will open at when it is being dead headed. Turn the steering to either the full left or full right stop in order to dead head the pump and make it build maximum pressure, but don't hold it there for long, the cylinder rods can bend. I believe that pump should have a relief valve that opens at 650 psi, but my memory is getting worse the older I get.

well by dead heading the pump with the guage then is that not load ? So the pump as long as there is supply will pump and if it was
not for the relief valve it would blow a seal or something..I dont get it...

Sorry, I missed where you said that you hooked the gauge directly to the pressure port and dead headed the pump. If it was only reading 100 psi at that point then I would suspect that the relief valve might be stuck partially open, or the pump itself needs to be completely rebuilt or possibly replaced.

well I took pump apart today..the spring was broke and the end with the tube and ball is frozen shut..The ball wont depress...So I dont know
whats inside the tube and putting presure on the ball ? does that tube spin off the plunger to clean it out? I cant find the diagran for
the pump..the spring really does not lookright ..nothing to hold it straight...it is too small ? I dont know...I need a diagram..maybe I have the parts wrong so here is a picture ? im not sure ...the plunger is all frozze up..Is there supposed to be moving parts itnside it? does the ball move ? ..I dont see how they made it..unless the shaft inside slides out >.. I would be better if I had a diagram but the one I been using has a seperate blow up for the pump and cant find it..I would like to gtaj=ke the plunger apart and clean i so that the ball moves t? ..
cvphoto166062.jpg

I have a spare one of those pumps that has a rusted out resevoir. I replaced it cuz of the rusty resevoir. I would sell it for $50 plus shipping if you're interested
mvphoto111330.jpg

This post was edited by nashranch on 11/05/2023 at 06:05 pm.

thanks for the diagram...but i still cant figure out from the drawings which way the plunger
goes....the drawings are not clear..for the plunger...

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back