Firewood surprise again. (Pics)

Old560

Member
Glad I found it before a $40 chain did. 1” auger bit.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8291.jpeg
    IMG_8291.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 368
  • IMG_8294.jpeg
    IMG_8294.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 351
Nasty. My neighbor's tree has 20 inches of 1/2 inch cable imbedded in it in 3 pieces. Plus a 3/4 inch ready rod and nuts through the whole tree, 38 inches! it is a trash Russian Elm with a value of the cost to have it taken down. 90 ft tall. Woof Jim
 
Yep! Been there. Found a 1/2" lag bolt about 10" long in a maple trunk with a brand-new chain that had about 5 minutes time on it. And yes, I did utter a couple of naughty words.
 
Metal in a log is on thing, but how about ceramic fence insulators? Had a new chain taking down walnut trees and didn't seem to matter whether I went high or low off the normal fence highth, would hit one somewhere in the cut.
 
I had a friend who told the story about savings an old oak. Cross drilled and bolted it back together and filled the whole thing with concrete. He said the lady was happy, but someone was not going to be one day in the future!
 
At the paper mill I retired from there was a metal detector on the conveyor ahead of the chipper, it would stop the conveyor and the operator had a hoist to lift the log out and cull it.
 
Metal in a log is on thing, but how about ceramic fence insulators? Had a new chain taking down walnut trees and didn't seem to matter whether I went high or low off the normal fence highth, would hit one somewhere in the cut.
Boy......they sure do take the edge off a chain in a hurry don't they! Even faster than a piece of steel!
Big old roadside trees are often hiding unwanted surprises like this.
 
Yep! Been there. Found a 1/2" lag bolt about 10" long in a maple trunk with a brand-new chain that had about 5 minutes time on it. And yes, I did utter a couple of naughty words.
Here in Wisconsin there is a lot of screw in deer stand pegs grown way into the tree left by irresponsible hunters.
 
My neighbor showed me a piece of log he hit with a bit of steel, 30 feet up the trunk. He thought it was a bullet but the chain would have gone through lead.
I've sawed through dozens of copper jacketed bullets with my bandsaw mill. One catface on a walnut butt log was used as a target when the tree was alive. 12 - 15 bullets at various depths. I bought a metal detector, which finds MOST of the 16d nails.:( steve
 
X2 on the bowhunters leaving the screw in pegs. I cut down some ash trees for firewood for my neighbor a few years ago and one had a couple I could not remove. I told him about them, but he still managed to hit one.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top