First money

The dilemma with those old savings bonds is that they're worth multiple times their face value by now.

Someone bought me a $500 savings bond when I was born in 1974. The bond has my parents' names on it but they were dirt poor back then, a young couple 2 months of their first anniversary (yes, people did the math for YEARS). It's worth over $1600 now. Technically my "first money."

Cash it or keep it? I'd cash it and buy more if they still issued paper bonds, but bonds are "electronic" now. It's such a cool piece of paper, and irreplaceable.

I remember as a kid in the sixties seeing commercials on TV promoting U.S. Savings Bonds all
the time. Saving and investing used to be encouraged until around the late eighties and now
frivolous spending and consuming is promoted.

(quoted from post at 16:45:49 11/16/23) I remember as a kid in the sixties seeing commercials on TV promoting U.S. Savings Bonds all
the time. Saving and investing used to be encouraged until around the late eighties and now
frivolous spending and consuming is promoted.
Same here as Canada Savings Bonds were really advertised this time of year fifty some years ago. And I had relatives that did "clip the coupons" and re-invest plus buy more each year. They were very saving and thus comfortable in their old age. My first dollar was likely made after an hour of stacking oat hay bales behind a New Holland baler in 1969. The August heat and oat dust was intense but the thoughts of all I could do with that money kept me going.

Well , i never went broke , So i guess i do have some of the 1st money i ever earned pikin strawberries for a quarter per gallon when i was 6 , My Mom worked in the crating shed and got tired of me messing around doing nothing. It was a cool thing to have spending money for fun things . We kids looked forward to berry season each year . Most i ever piked was 76 gallon in a day when I was 15 or so.. By then we made 80 cents per gallon , . doing this helped buy My 1st used car .

I used to own a little country store & looked forward to getting the 1st dollar to mount on the wall behind my cash register. We had a food stamp license & the first person thru the door paid with food stamps! What now? Heck, just mount the food stamp $1 stamp. Got lots of laughs & snickers. Still got it. Wonder if it will still spend after 30 years?

I bought a single shot new england .410 shotgun with the money i saved and still have shotgun, so i guess i do!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back