first real mowing test of the 2000 and cheap mower

souNdguy

First 'real' mowing test of the 2000 and that 5' howse mower I re-habbed today. took her over to the farm property where she will likely live once I have her like I want her and a roof over her head.. mowed about 3-4 ac of 3=4' tall bramble and ragweed and dog fennel.. and an occasional 5' patch, plus some 3' stands of green assorted tree sapplings... that was mostly along fence lines.. though did have 1 fanced off fallow pasture of about an ag of 2-3' tall stuff... ballance was bahia blacktops in the 1.5' to 2' range. stuff out in the non common area where I have my pull in and hay storage, and well pump, fenced out of the animla paddocks.

ran her for a couple-3 hours till I just got to hot, and her temp gauge was edging up near red. couldn't keep the rad clean.. so much chaff kept accumulating.. I'd stop to open gates and let her idle and try to brush the front screen clean.. but know the radiator core was stying plugged.

finally decided to call it a day.. i was running out of steam quickly in the heat, and the towel i was setting on just wasn't doing it.. that black metal pan seat was tanning my hide! :).. not to mention with all the chaff in the radiator I was at the top margin of green / red, and saw no need to pressure test the head and radiator by pushing onward.. :)

had a lil excitment throughout the day.

1, found an old 4' chain-link fence gate someone tossed over the fence at the front of my property up in the corner.. not sure how long it's been there.. but there were 3-4' weeds thru it ant it was laying flat an unseen.. mower turned it into a metalic pretzle and scared the bajeebers out of me.. not sure why someone though I wanted that gate :( usually it'[s just beer cans and bottles and an occasional tire that gets left by the fence or tossed over :(

ok.. got that cleaned up and the chain link out from under the mower and kept going.. bout' an hour later I had just opened a gate to that fallow paddock and pulled in and noticed the mower was real quiet.. uh-oh.. looked back.. quickly figured out shear bolt had went. no problem.. got plenty in the truck... hmm... no nuts though.. ARGH!!! but hey.. i got this roll of duct tape.. HMMM..

put new bolt in and then a heft supply of tape around it to hole it in place, and that lasted the rest of the day :)

last surprise of the day was when trailering, one ramp base was apparrently setting on an old rotten stump that was cut even with the ground.. as my fronts walked up the ramp.. just as they got to the top, the stump subsided and ramp shifted and rolled sideways making the tractor go a-kilter a lil bit... was good for a moment of cardio- exercist and some quick clutch / brake work... didn't sacrifice the shorts or anything.. :) was my lowboy trailer and axle had enough up/down play that I just backed out of it and repositioned the ramps and took another run at it.. got her home and parked in front of the shop so I can clean that rad out. can only see thru it in a couple palces.. core is blocked up and good.

after that unloaded 500# of bagged feed and then put the trailer up.. came in for a shower and cold drink, and headed off to work!

tractor passed good... the clogged radiator isn't a problem imho.. just a fact of mowing. and as for the scrap price howse mower? I guess it done real good.. hit a few various bits of burried treasure and some dirt clods and mounds.. and kept on trucking like a beater mower should.. :)

soundguy

I had a Bush Hog Squealer that used a real shear pin(not a bolt). The pin hole was wallowed out some so when I lost a shear pin, the replacemnt pin was kinda" loose. I used duct tape to hold it in place til I could get a bolt for it. Never had a problem with the duct tape!

Glad the machine passed your endurance test!

passed good.. but I'm wore out!

I need to take that front grill cover out and really water hose the rad clean. it's core is 90% plugged. can only see thru it in 2 places.. no wonder I was edging up on the red by the end of the mowing

I won't "question" your judgment....however my preferred method with a clogged radiator is airhose from fan side BEFORE water cleaning.

I got about 5 acres (total) hawgin' to do in the next couple weeks...honest-to-goodness brush down to shin high grass. Only way 4610 knows machine is there is because its too heavy/weighty for the 63 4000 gasser.

Stay cool...be safe!!

Rick

where I was at I had no air or water hose.. so all can be done at the shop where I got i parked at now

actually looks like it needs some solvent on it too! :)

In the tall stuff with lots of seed heads I use the much hated IH M. With as tall as it is the rad is up high enugh that there isn't a problem. But I know a guy who ties on window screen over the nose of his utility tractor. When the temp starts to go up he stops and takes it off and just kida beats it like a carpet and puts it back on. It catches stuuf small enough to pass through the rad. I think he has a beer while doing so.....just to keep hydrated!

Rick

That's great, I am glad that was just a gate and not 20' of fence that would have ruined your day. That was good to have only the normal problems. I never thought of it before but that is one plus for a row crop to have the front a little higher out of the weeds.
Ron

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back