First Time Doing Valves on a Kohler K321

RTR

This is my first time Ever doing any kind of valve work on an engine short of adjusting valves. I have a Kohler K321 I am working on. Engine ran good but I'm restoring a Cub Cadet 1450 and wanted to go through the engine before I painted it. When removing the valves, I noticed that the exhaust valve stem was very tight and dry in the guide. Could this have been because the engine has sat with the oil drained for 2 years, or does it mean it has an issue? The intake valve was tight but slid up and down with a little pressure like it had tacky grease on it (it didn't, but that is the resistance it had). The engine looks to be in great shape and I was just planning to remove the parts to give them a good cleaning and light valve lapping. Please give me some good direction on this.
mvphoto98415.jpg

mvphoto98416.jpg

mvphoto98417.jpg

Clean the guides with solvent and a valve guide brush.

Make sure the stems are clean, as well.

Lube before installation.

I use synthetic motor oil, opinions may differ on that.

(quoted from post at 20:38:37 10/14/22)

Ok. I'll have to locate a proper valve guide brush. Thank you. With the solvent, will brake clean suffice?

(quoted from post at 10:41:46 10/14/22)
(quoted from post at 20:38:37 10/14/22)

Ok. I'll have to locate a proper valve guide brush. Thank you. With the solvent, will brake clean suffice?

I think spray carburetor cleaner will have more ''bite'' to any varnish and goo in the guide.

If you look on the 'net you can find brass or stainless steel guide brushes, which will do a better job and be tolerant of the solvent vs. plastic bristles.

Ok. Thank you. Look at my other post about cleaning up the valves and parts to prep for lapping.

My engine builder has those bronze (thin) sleeves he reams the guide and press them in. I think on mine I got new guides and valves in my
kit.

I had Gardner performance install and had them cut in inserts and three angle valve grind , that really makes the engine breathe good .they
do it on the Briggs 5 hp dragster motors.

I feel why not , only going to have to do this once on a Kohler will last a lifetime. And save fuel ant really give it more power.

(quoted from post at 17:29:53 10/15/22) My engine builder has those bronze (thin) sleeves he reams the guide and press them in. I think on mine I got new guides and valves in my
kit.

I had Gardner performance install and had them cut in inserts and three angle valve grind , that really makes the engine breathe good .they
do it on the Briggs 5 hp dragster motors.

I feel why not , only going to have to do this once on a Kohler will last a lifetime. And save fuel ant really give it more power.

Who is Gardner performance?? Any affiliation with Gardner Inc. that is the distributor for Kohler? We are a Kohler dealer throigh Gardner.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back