First trip with my refurbished spreader (pic)

sflem849

I "finished" my Allis 140s spreader refurbishing today. I can't call it a restoration but some certainly would. It got a heavy duty pressure washing, rusty metal primer brushed on, cheap Valspar orange once with a gun and once with a brush. I mostly turned it orange so it would look a little better for a while and to keep it from rusting out as soon. If you buy the cheap Valspar DO NOT plan on spraying it out of a HVLP gun. Maybe out of your Wagner power sprayer. :lol:

I consider it finished because it is now functional. It has split rim 6.00-20s which I don't plan on keeping. I am going to try and find some junkyard rims and tires for it. Hopefully some of the other brand spreaders will have traditional style rims. I will then paint the rims Allis cream. (TSC doesn't sell that color, anybody know of a close match?) I also want to do something with the wood. The wood is supposed to be orange, but I think it might look neat stained. Not sure what to do there. I will start a poll!

Thanks to Nebraska Cowman for the manuals.

2012-04-29_16-54-43_374.jpg

According to my dear wife this is just like a man . . . get it all painted and finished then load it up with manure and head for the field for a dust up.

(quoted from post at 19:55:34 04/29/12) According to my dear wife this is just like a man . . . get it all painted and finished then load it up with manure and head for the field for a dust up.

That's funny stuff. My dad wasn't the biggest fan of filling it full of manure after all of our work. He is the woodworker and I am the mechanic. We had a good time working on it, but it took forever. It was kind of a back burner project that lasted a couple years.

Here are some pictures earlier in the project. I guess I don't have a true before picture.

Spreader002.jpg

SpreaderReconstruction004.jpg

2012-04-23_14-51-00_786.jpg

nice spreader. my dad and i restored a 1950"s ray cunningham and son tandem, pto with upper beater. 1 rim was shot and all we could scrounge were gold anodized rims. it works great and looks nifty

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back